Originally a small indie music festival, Swamp Stomp stretching out for 2009

swampstompfinal_nonames

COURTESY DAN COSGROVE

With all of Miami’s glitz and glamor, the city doesn’t seem like a likely home for a local indie music festival. That’s just what producers of the third annual Swamp Stomp hope to change.

The event now known as Swamp Stomp humbly began in 2007 as the brainchild of University of Miami alumnus Parker Smith and a few members of the local band Tavern. It featured local bands playing in the least trendy of venues, a house.

“It was a little disappointing,” said Andrew Hunter, a senior working as the production manager and with marketing for Swamp Stomp ’09. “Ninety people showed even though they had bought burgers for about 350.”

But Swamp Stomp has definitely moved on to bigger things. Last year, the festival gained a few sponsors, relocated to Virginia Key, and drew a crowd of more than 500 people. This year promises to be even bigger and better. Sponsored by The Green Monkey, Stop ‘N Shop, Honor Roll Music and Jimbo’s, the festival will rock Jimbo’s on April 25 from 7 p.m. to 2 a.m.

T-shirts and games will also be offered this year.  Hunter revealed that activities will include a tug-of-war match, hula-hoop contest, and “a reciting of the opening verses of the Canterbury Tales in Middle English in honor of The Last Waltz.”

The music and entertainment is one thing, but one of the best things about Swamp Stomp is its location.

“Jimbo’s is great for a concert because it’s in the middle of nowhere, essentially, so the music can go on all night,” said Nick Moran, a junior who attended the event last year.  “Also, it’s a pretty good crowd. You know people are there for the music, unlike a show at a club.”

With its affordable $5 cover, entertainment and great crowd, Swamp Stomp definitely deserves a prominent mark in the April calendar.

If You Go

What: Swamp Stomp ’09

When: April 25 from 7 p.m. – 2 a.m.

Where: Jimbo’s on Virginia Key, across from the Miami Seaquarium

Cost: $5

Additional Information

Confirmed Bands: Tavern, Jahfe, The Big Tasty and The JeanMarie, with more artists to be announced soon

Beer: Domestic, $2; Import, $3

For more information, visit the Swamp Stomp ’09 Facebook group or follow StompTheSwamp on Twitter.

Carla Tabag

Contributing EDGE Writer

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

There are few players across Florida whose recruitment has been harder to parse than Derick Hunter’s ...

While University of Miami fans are not exactly thrilled about their Hurricanes going against the Wis ...

There was a time John Dixon looked like he would have his choice of just about any college he wanted ...

Part 2 of a 3-part series Former Marlins president David Samson, now unshackled by any contractual r ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

A record number of gifts have been collected across UM campuses to benefit children and seniors in t ...

Former Prime Minister of Israel Ehud Barak, who previously served as minister of the interior and mi ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...

The University of Miami's redshirt senior setter Haley Templeton was named to the 2018 AVCA All ...