Tennis

Women climbing their way to the top

STEVEN STUTS // HURRICANE STAFF

STEVEN STUTS // HURRICANE STAFF

While some teams at the University of Miami underachieve despite their talent, the women’s tennis squad continues to climb up the Intercollegiate Tennis Association’s poll and only gets stronger with each match.

This past weekend at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, the now fifth-ranked Hurricanes “upset” seventh-ranked Duke, 5-2, and blew past No. 15 North Carolina, 6-1, to extend their winning streak to five.

Keep in mind that those were two quality ACC teams in the top 25 that head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews’ girls beat thoroughly.

And the thing is, they’ve been doing it all season.

At 16-3 overall and 5-1 in the ACC, the Canes have beaten 11 ranked teams and produced a perfect 7-0 tally on the scoreboard six times this season, which is usually a rare feat in tennis. Two of those victories came in back-to-back matches against top 25 opponents Florida State and Arkansas.

The sole losses came at the rackets of No. 1 Northwestern, No. 4 Baylor and No. 6 Georgia Tech.

Each loss came before a winning doubles formula was discovered by Yaroshuk-Tews. The team has since won four straight doubles points in matches.

Miami has four nationally ranked singles players, led by sixth-ranked sophomore Julia Cohen. The ACC Women’s Tennis Player of the Week has won 10 consecutive singles matches and eight in a row against ranked opponents.

A transfer, Cohen’s decision to leave “G Vegas” and head further south gave our sports program a much needed victory over the rival Gators.

Junior All-American Laura Vallverdu, who played in the first position last season and was hurt much of the fall, has steadily made it to No. 24 in the second slot.

Sophomores Michaela Kissell (No. 50) and Bianca Eichkorn (No. 40) rotate in the third and fourth positions, but the outcome almost always ends in a W. The two have combined for just five losses.

With five regular season matches remaining before the ACC Championships in Cary, N.C., the surging team’s ultimate goal is simple: to play on May 18 for the NCAA Championship in College Station, Texas.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...