Tennis

Women climbing their way to the top

STEVEN STUTS // HURRICANE STAFF

STEVEN STUTS // HURRICANE STAFF

While some teams at the University of Miami underachieve despite their talent, the women’s tennis squad continues to climb up the Intercollegiate Tennis Association’s poll and only gets stronger with each match.

This past weekend at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, the now fifth-ranked Hurricanes “upset” seventh-ranked Duke, 5-2, and blew past No. 15 North Carolina, 6-1, to extend their winning streak to five.

Keep in mind that those were two quality ACC teams in the top 25 that head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews’ girls beat thoroughly.

And the thing is, they’ve been doing it all season.

At 16-3 overall and 5-1 in the ACC, the Canes have beaten 11 ranked teams and produced a perfect 7-0 tally on the scoreboard six times this season, which is usually a rare feat in tennis. Two of those victories came in back-to-back matches against top 25 opponents Florida State and Arkansas.

The sole losses came at the rackets of No. 1 Northwestern, No. 4 Baylor and No. 6 Georgia Tech.

Each loss came before a winning doubles formula was discovered by Yaroshuk-Tews. The team has since won four straight doubles points in matches.

Miami has four nationally ranked singles players, led by sixth-ranked sophomore Julia Cohen. The ACC Women’s Tennis Player of the Week has won 10 consecutive singles matches and eight in a row against ranked opponents.

A transfer, Cohen’s decision to leave “G Vegas” and head further south gave our sports program a much needed victory over the rival Gators.

Junior All-American Laura Vallverdu, who played in the first position last season and was hurt much of the fall, has steadily made it to No. 24 in the second slot.

Sophomores Michaela Kissell (No. 50) and Bianca Eichkorn (No. 40) rotate in the third and fourth positions, but the outcome almost always ends in a W. The two have combined for just five losses.

With five regular season matches remaining before the ACC Championships in Cary, N.C., the surging team’s ultimate goal is simple: to play on May 18 for the NCAA Championship in College Station, Texas.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...