UHealth employees allegedly violate HIPAA policy, face possible punishment

Several University of Miami Health System (UHealth) employees face disciplinary action, including the possibility of termination, for allegedly accessing patient records protected by the federal Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), according to an e-mail memo obtained by The Miami Hurricane.

In the March 18 memo, two top administrators at UM’s Miller School of Medicine said an internal investigation found that several unidentified UHealth employees “violated HIPAA regulations and our policies by improperly accessing … their own medical records and those of their family members as well as abusing systems privileges by making medical appointments for themselves and/or their relatives.”

The memo, sent by William Donelan, vice president for Medical Affairs, and William O’Neill, executive dean for Clinical Affairs, did not provide further details concerning why employees may have accessed patient records.

On Wednesday, Sharon Budman, the interim chief privacy officer/ombudsman, suggested that the e-mail was intended to remind the school’s students, faculty and staff of its commitment to protecting the privacy and confidentiality of UHealth patients.

“The e-mail was an internal notification to emphasize the importance of privacy,” Budman said in a phone interview.

The memo also advised students, faculty and staff that discussing a patient’s health information with someone not involved in the case would violate HIPAA rules as well.

According to the UHealth Web site, the network includes six hospitals and more than two dozen outpatient facilities in Miami-Dade, Broward, Palm Beach and Collier counties, and it employs more than 1,200 physicians and 8,000 staff.

Justin Antweil

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

The Miami Hurricanes are usually off on Mondays. But today, the Canes (5-2, 2-1 Atlantic Coast Confe ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...