Baseball

Antweil: Baseball team exceeding expectations, but how? I’ve got three reasons

STEVEN STUTS // HURRICANE STAFF

STEVEN STUTS // HURRICANE STAFF

When the 2009 University of Miami baseball roster was unveiled, no one knew what to expect. It looked like the drive to a fifth national championship would be in jeopardy, as this team has 14 newcomers. A third of the way through the season, the No. 2-ranked Hurricanes should be pleasantly surprised with their production thus far.

There are three reasons why this team has surpassed expectations:

1) Bullpen: The bullpen dominates and is definitely UM’s best asset. Coming into this week (through 22 games), the pen had an ERA of 1.67. The bullpen is anchored by standout closer Kyle Bellamy, who leads all ACC pitchers with six saves and is 3-0 this season. In 16 innings pitched, he has struck out 25 while allowing one earned run. Junior Taylor Wulf has been a solid setup man. He is tied for the team lead in appearances and has only given up one earned run in 11 outings. Junior Michael Rudman has been an unsung hero, as he has not allowed a run and surrendered two hits in 10.2 innings pitched.

2) David Gutierrez: Coming into this season, the only definitive spot in the pitching rotation was Friday night with Chris Hernandez. With the absence of Eric Erickson (elbow surgery), there was concern over who would step up and be an effective Saturday starter. Gutierrez has been that man for Miami. UM is 4-1 in games he starts. He works quickly and keeps hitters off balance with his curve ball. He leads the ACC in ERA (0.88).

3) Resiliency: The Hurricanes have 12 come-from-behind wins this season. They have the worst fielding percentage in the ACC, but they are able to overcome their defensive deficiencies with timely hitting. They have three home walk-off wins this season. They swept No. 12 UF in Gainesville, won two of three games against the surging Duke Blue Devils and handed Virginia its first two losses of the season this past weekend. This team is clutch and able to rise to the occasion.

Justin Antweil

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...