Sports Briefs

TRACK AND FIELD

Junior Mikese Morse has been named the ACC Outdoor Track and Field Performer of the Week for his performance in last weekend’s Hurricane Invitational.

Morse posted a mark of 7.62m (25-00.00) in the long jump, passing the regional qualifying standard by nearly a foot.

ROWING

With three victories last week, the University of Miami First Varsity Eight boat was honored as the ACC’s initial 2009 Crew of the Week.

The Hurricanes’ First Varsity Eight crew is composed of seniors Marleena Eyre, Laura Cordner and Rachael Sporko; junior Karalyn Van Aken; sophomores Shira Kharrazi, Monika Sajincic, Emily Wingrove and Sarah Medland; and freshmen Camilla Espana and Frida Schneider. Van Aken substituted for Sajincic in Miami’s win over Connecticut, while Kharrazi served as the coxswain in all three wins.

CHARITY TENNIS TOURNAMENT

This Sunday, the Gamma Delta chapter of Alpha Delta Pi at the University of Miami will host its third annual Lion’s Share Challenge Tennis Tournament at Continental Park Tennis Center from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. Proceeds will benefit the Ronald McDonald House of Miami.

The Ronald McDonald House provides temporary housing for families of seriously ill children while they receive hospital treatment. The Miami house is located in the University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Medical Center and has helped over 16,000 families since its opening 21 years ago.

Alpha Delta Pi has donated over $2 million to the Ronald McDonald House Charities since 1979, which makes the sorority the second largest donor, after McDonald’s. Last year’s tournament raised over $15,000.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...