Sports Briefs

TRACK AND FIELD

Junior Mikese Morse has been named the ACC Outdoor Track and Field Performer of the Week for his performance in last weekend’s Hurricane Invitational.

Morse posted a mark of 7.62m (25-00.00) in the long jump, passing the regional qualifying standard by nearly a foot.

ROWING

With three victories last week, the University of Miami First Varsity Eight boat was honored as the ACC’s initial 2009 Crew of the Week.

The Hurricanes’ First Varsity Eight crew is composed of seniors Marleena Eyre, Laura Cordner and Rachael Sporko; junior Karalyn Van Aken; sophomores Shira Kharrazi, Monika Sajincic, Emily Wingrove and Sarah Medland; and freshmen Camilla Espana and Frida Schneider. Van Aken substituted for Sajincic in Miami’s win over Connecticut, while Kharrazi served as the coxswain in all three wins.

CHARITY TENNIS TOURNAMENT

This Sunday, the Gamma Delta chapter of Alpha Delta Pi at the University of Miami will host its third annual Lion’s Share Challenge Tennis Tournament at Continental Park Tennis Center from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. Proceeds will benefit the Ronald McDonald House of Miami.

The Ronald McDonald House provides temporary housing for families of seriously ill children while they receive hospital treatment. The Miami house is located in the University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Medical Center and has helped over 16,000 families since its opening 21 years ago.

Alpha Delta Pi has donated over $2 million to the Ronald McDonald House Charities since 1979, which makes the sorority the second largest donor, after McDonald’s. Last year’s tournament raised over $15,000.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

He’s certainly not a veteran, but for the first time in his college football career, redshirt freshm ...

This November feels a lot more like March for the 24th-ranked University of Miami women’s basketball ...

For a month at a time, Louis Hedley would find himself in the deserts of Australia. His chances at m ...

It has been a trying season for college football fans of two Sunshine State programs: Florida State ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

UM’s robotics team recently obtained a new robot with the goal of helping aging individuals. ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the s ...

Isaiah Wong and Anthony Walker will join Canes for 2019-20 season. ...

Three University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes – Adria Soriano Barrera, Bojan Jankulov ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team checks in at seventh in the country in ...