Sports Briefs

TRACK AND FIELD

Junior Mikese Morse has been named the ACC Outdoor Track and Field Performer of the Week for his performance in last weekend’s Hurricane Invitational.

Morse posted a mark of 7.62m (25-00.00) in the long jump, passing the regional qualifying standard by nearly a foot.

ROWING

With three victories last week, the University of Miami First Varsity Eight boat was honored as the ACC’s initial 2009 Crew of the Week.

The Hurricanes’ First Varsity Eight crew is composed of seniors Marleena Eyre, Laura Cordner and Rachael Sporko; junior Karalyn Van Aken; sophomores Shira Kharrazi, Monika Sajincic, Emily Wingrove and Sarah Medland; and freshmen Camilla Espana and Frida Schneider. Van Aken substituted for Sajincic in Miami’s win over Connecticut, while Kharrazi served as the coxswain in all three wins.

CHARITY TENNIS TOURNAMENT

This Sunday, the Gamma Delta chapter of Alpha Delta Pi at the University of Miami will host its third annual Lion’s Share Challenge Tennis Tournament at Continental Park Tennis Center from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. Proceeds will benefit the Ronald McDonald House of Miami.

The Ronald McDonald House provides temporary housing for families of seriously ill children while they receive hospital treatment. The Miami house is located in the University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Medical Center and has helped over 16,000 families since its opening 21 years ago.

Alpha Delta Pi has donated over $2 million to the Ronald McDonald House Charities since 1979, which makes the sorority the second largest donor, after McDonald’s. Last year’s tournament raised over $15,000.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...

The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) has awarded the University of Miami a 2019 NCAA ...

Dane Dunlap, William Grattan-Smith and Franco Aubone were each selected as All-Academic Scholar Athl ...