Sports Briefs

TRACK AND FIELD

Junior Mikese Morse has been named the ACC Outdoor Track and Field Performer of the Week for his performance in last weekend’s Hurricane Invitational.

Morse posted a mark of 7.62m (25-00.00) in the long jump, passing the regional qualifying standard by nearly a foot.

ROWING

With three victories last week, the University of Miami First Varsity Eight boat was honored as the ACC’s initial 2009 Crew of the Week.

The Hurricanes’ First Varsity Eight crew is composed of seniors Marleena Eyre, Laura Cordner and Rachael Sporko; junior Karalyn Van Aken; sophomores Shira Kharrazi, Monika Sajincic, Emily Wingrove and Sarah Medland; and freshmen Camilla Espana and Frida Schneider. Van Aken substituted for Sajincic in Miami’s win over Connecticut, while Kharrazi served as the coxswain in all three wins.

CHARITY TENNIS TOURNAMENT

This Sunday, the Gamma Delta chapter of Alpha Delta Pi at the University of Miami will host its third annual Lion’s Share Challenge Tennis Tournament at Continental Park Tennis Center from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. Proceeds will benefit the Ronald McDonald House of Miami.

The Ronald McDonald House provides temporary housing for families of seriously ill children while they receive hospital treatment. The Miami house is located in the University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Medical Center and has helped over 16,000 families since its opening 21 years ago.

Alpha Delta Pi has donated over $2 million to the Ronald McDonald House Charities since 1979, which makes the sorority the second largest donor, after McDonald’s. Last year’s tournament raised over $15,000.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

University of Miami experts discuss the potential mental health impacts in the Bahamas following Hur ...

The Fall Lecture series explores topics on accelerated resolution therapy treatments, pain managemen ...

As the Bahamas urges tourists to visit its islands unaffected by Hurricane Dorian, University of Mia ...

Katya Saunders, president of the Bahamian Students Association, is leading a relief effort to help h ...

The uniqueness of the University of Miami—as a place to live, learn, share knowledge, and innovate—s ...

Jimmy Murphy insists his life hasn't changed (much) after his internet-breaking touchdown and c ...

Hurricanes standouts Mykea Gray and Beatrice Mompremier have the opportunity of a lifetime this week ...

Miami Athletics announced Wednesday the completion of the new Boich Family Scoreboard at the Neil Sc ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba, the reigning NCAA singles champion, opens the 2019-20 season ranked second i ...

This weekend, Canes men's tennis coach Aljosa Piric became a U.S. Citizen – and reflected on th ...