Restaurant Review: Giardino Gourmet Salads

Healthy food at a fast-food pace: the newest branch of Giardino Gourmet Salads delivers on its promise to provide hungry patrons with nutritious meals and speedy service.

Friendly employees greet customers coming into the small but quaint restaurant on US-1. The tiny iron tables and faux-brick decor are reminiscent of a breezy sidewalk café.

Salads, available for eat-in, takeout or delivery, are made with fresh, natural ingredients in front of customers. They range from conventional salads like the Country Cobb, Traditional Caesar, and Greek Village, to original creations such as the Crab Louis (tomatoes, red peppers, red onions, egg, and crab), Napa (brie cheese, grapes, pecans, and olives), and Fizz (strawberries, walnuts, and blue cheese). Customers can also choose their own ingredients for a “My Way!” custom salad.

For an extra dollar, a scoop of one of the homemade mixed salads is a good way to add protein to an all-vegetable dish. Tropical chicken, creamy tuna and southwestern bean are just some of the options available, with the curry turkey standing out as an instant palate pleaser. These mixed additions can also be purchased separately by the pound.

Wraps can be made from any of the salad selections on rice paper or a tortilla. A soup of the day, also made with fresh vegetables, is a good complement to a salad or wrap.

Other highlights from the menu include the crisp and slightly sweetened vegetable chips and chocolate covered nuts. Delectable desserts include coconut date and nut balls, dry or fresh fruit, and ambrosia salad.

The one downside: the prices. The “piccolo,” or small salad, is reasonably priced at $6.50, but the largest is $11.00. The wraps are also reasonable at $6, but salad mixes like the curry turkey can range from $6-$10 per pound. A good idea would be to buy the piccolo and add a scoop of meat for a more filling meal or share a medium-sized “basta” ($8.75) or “grande” with a friend.

If You Go

What: Giardino Gourmet Salads

Where: The new South Miami branch is located on 6653 S. Dixie Highway

When: Monday-Friday 10 a.m.-8 p.m., Saturday 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Closed Sunday.

Price: $2.80 – $12.00

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer

Miller School of Medicine students are visiting barbershops to offer free health screenings to Afric ...

With a new name and a continued focus on excellence, students, faculty, and staff are excited about ...

The University of Miami’s Cuban Heritage Collection will host its third New Directions in Cuban Stud ...

Frost School of Music faculty member Carlos Abril highlights how demographic characteristics influen ...

The University of Miami is naming its business school in honor of Patti and Allan Herbert for their ...

University of Miami redshirt senior Beatrice Mompremier has been named Atlantic Coast Conference Pre ...

Few players in college basketball can boast the same type of winning pedigree as Nysier Brooks and n ...

Keith Stone had a bevy of options to pick from when deciding where to spend his final year as a coll ...

University of Miami student-athletes continued their strong work in the classroom this past year, po ...

University of Miami junior cornerback Trajan Bandy was named ACC Defensive Back of the Week after a ...