Restaurant Review: Giardino Gourmet Salads

Healthy food at a fast-food pace: the newest branch of Giardino Gourmet Salads delivers on its promise to provide hungry patrons with nutritious meals and speedy service.

Friendly employees greet customers coming into the small but quaint restaurant on US-1. The tiny iron tables and faux-brick decor are reminiscent of a breezy sidewalk café.

Salads, available for eat-in, takeout or delivery, are made with fresh, natural ingredients in front of customers. They range from conventional salads like the Country Cobb, Traditional Caesar, and Greek Village, to original creations such as the Crab Louis (tomatoes, red peppers, red onions, egg, and crab), Napa (brie cheese, grapes, pecans, and olives), and Fizz (strawberries, walnuts, and blue cheese). Customers can also choose their own ingredients for a “My Way!” custom salad.

For an extra dollar, a scoop of one of the homemade mixed salads is a good way to add protein to an all-vegetable dish. Tropical chicken, creamy tuna and southwestern bean are just some of the options available, with the curry turkey standing out as an instant palate pleaser. These mixed additions can also be purchased separately by the pound.

Wraps can be made from any of the salad selections on rice paper or a tortilla. A soup of the day, also made with fresh vegetables, is a good complement to a salad or wrap.

Other highlights from the menu include the crisp and slightly sweetened vegetable chips and chocolate covered nuts. Delectable desserts include coconut date and nut balls, dry or fresh fruit, and ambrosia salad.

The one downside: the prices. The “piccolo,” or small salad, is reasonably priced at $6.50, but the largest is $11.00. The wraps are also reasonable at $6, but salad mixes like the curry turkey can range from $6-$10 per pound. A good idea would be to buy the piccolo and add a scoop of meat for a more filling meal or share a medium-sized “basta” ($8.75) or “grande” with a friend.

If You Go

What: Giardino Gourmet Salads

Where: The new South Miami branch is located on 6653 S. Dixie Highway

When: Monday-Friday 10 a.m.-8 p.m., Saturday 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Closed Sunday.

Price: $2.80 – $12.00

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier is not relinquishing that starting job anytime soon. On ...

The Miami Hurricanes don’t just have a marquee season opener against LSU on their hands on Sept. 2. ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Monday: ▪ Here’s one encouraging development this month: The fre ...

The preseason love continues. The Associated Press unveiled its Top 25 preseason rankings Monday, an ...

The Miami Hurricanes on Monday had their first practice after their second scrimmage Saturday night ...

The University of Miami welcomed more than 2,300 new students to campus as the fall semester got und ...

Intergroup Dialogue, a pilot program that will soon become a UM elective course, promotes honest tal ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami checked in at No. 8 in the preseason Associated Press poll, marking its highest position in th ...

Miami and adidas today revealed their new environmentally-conscious alternate uniforms for the 2018 ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team picked up a victory ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...