Our opinion: Like it or not, new sculpture on Green out of place

A photo of Joel Pearlman's "Big Diamond" before being installed on the Coral Gables campus. MIAMI.EDU

It’s hard not to sound cliché when trying to make a point like this, but why fix something if it ain’t broke? Well in this case, why add a rusty hunk of metal when the grass is already beautiful?

If you haven’t already noticed, someone decided to place a large rust-colored geometric metal sculpture smack-dab in the middle of the University Green.

University President Donna E. Shalala has commented in the past that we have the nicest grass of any college campus, because everyone is afraid to disturb it. That trend was finally changing. From bikini-clad studiers to ultimate frisbee champions-in-waiting, the Green has become a popular place to be. Why disrupt that positive momentum? And yes, we know recycling is good and all, but to pick something directly from the recycling plant is going a little overboard.

All kidding aside, we try to act as the eyes for our community. We certainly have no place judging the artistic quality of something like this, but it is hard to ignore this out-of-place work. When we think of our campus and city, we don’t think of an industrial aesthetic.

We just have one question: Why? The similar looking sculpture near the Ashe building makes much more sense because it takes up an unusable piece of grass and fits well in its space. Although this one is similarly sized, it’s obstructive and too attention-grabbing. It’s just sitting there with no context. Debate the value or don’t, but it just doesn’t fit on our campus.

We reported before the break on the idea of a “Comm’U’nity Garden” being created on the Green. We think it’s a fantastic idea. And if the university’s manpower and resources can be used on the current sculpture, it can certainly be used on that.

Editorial Board

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...