Movie Review: ‘Adventureland’

Adventureland only succeeds because of the talent of its leading man, Jesse Eisenberg. Eisenberg, an actor probably best known for his role in 2005’s stunning The Squid and the Whale, carries the film. Directed by Superbad‘s Greg Mottola, Adventureland strives to be more profound than its predecessor, yet lacks the poignancy necessary for such a feat.

Set in 1987, James’ plans for post-college graduation are falling apart in spectacular fashion. In order to finance a stint at Columbia University, he takes a menial job at Adventureland, perhaps the lamest amusement park in the world. While there, he finds kindred spirits, falls in love, and attempts to escape from a dreary career at a local university.

Eisenberg, who seems to have made a career out of playing 1980s-era misfits, is an actor of immense talent that is simply misused in this film. Kristen Stewart of Twilight infamy tries her best to show a range of emotions but seems to be stuck in that patented role. The funniest performances come from Saturday Night Live‘s Bill Hader and Kristen Wiig, two shameless comedians whose brief scenes provide the best moments in the film.

Props go to the film’s music supervisor, who filled the soundtrack with brilliant, often hilariously-dated songs like Falco’s “Rock Me Amadeus,” David Bowie’s “Modern Love” and The Cure’s “Just Like Heaven.”

Adventureland tries to achieve a balance between being a farcical sex comedy along the lines of Superbad and being a profound coming-of-age story. For the most part, it succeeds. It’s not as hilarious as it thinks it is, nor is it as deep, yet it remains a surprisingly worthy film.

Rating: 2.5 / 4 stars

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...

The University of Miami soccer team dropped its ACC road match against NC State, 1-0, Thursday night ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...