Tennis

Men getting back into form

On Nov. 8, 2008, senior All-American and third-ranked singles player Daniel Vallverdu suffered a pectoral injury at the ITA National Indoor Championships in Charlottesville, Va.

It was a nuisance that would keep him out for the first eight matches of the season and change the complexion of the then No. 17 men’s tennis team.

Pair that with an injury to senior David Rosenfeld, the Hurricanes’ No. 2, and it was the young guys and newcomers who were forced to make an immediate impact on a depleted squad.

Freshman Ignacio Taboada stepped up to the challenge, winning his first six collegiate singles matches. Since then, however, he has struggled, losing six straight. With the return of Vallverdu and Rosenfeld, “Nacho” has dropped to either the fourth or sixth slot, instead of the third position he found success in while the two were out.

The team needs him back on track if it hopes to go far.

Sophomore Christian Blocker took over the duties at No. 1 to begin the spring and has also struggled. He has since found comfort in the second slot, is ranked No. 117 and looks more at ease on the court.

Now No. 29 Vallverdu seems to be getting back to form, as is Rosenfeld as the team’s No. 3, as he clinched the Hurricanes’ last two victories.

No. 90 sophomore Carl Sundberg has proven to be the most consistent Hurricane, winning his first eight matches and 11 of his last 13, while sophomore transfer David Simon has won eight of 11.

More importantly, head coach Mario Rincon found winning doubles tandems in Vallverdu/Rosenfeld and Blocker/Simon.

Riding a two-game winning streak after upsetting both No. 28 Duke and No. 34 North Carolina, 4-3, on the road, the Canes (8-6, 4-1) have six games remaining in the regular season, starting this weekend with a pair of key home ACC matches against top-ranked Virginia and No. 21 Virginia Tech at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

There’s no better time to get hot than down the stretch for a 36th-ranked team starting to put the pieces back together.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

It would be hard to blame Avery Huff for rethinking his commitment to the Miami Hurricanes right now ...

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses. UM defensive c ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

A UM medical team has released the first report of acute symptoms and clinical findings in 25 person ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...