Baseball

Baseball Matchups: Miami vs. Georgia Tech

Starting Pitching         Advantage: Georgia Tech

Georgia Tech’s weekend rotation has a combined record of 8-0. The Yellow Jackets’ ace, sophomore Derek McGuire, has a 1.87 ERA with 41 strikeouts, compared to nine walks. UM’s Saturday starter, David Gutierrez, has the best ERA, 0.88, in the ACC. Gutierrez has yet to allow more than one earned run in any of his five starts, while opponents are batting .196 against him. Sophomore Chris Hernandez picked up the first loss of his career, in 23 starts, last Friday against Virginia. He has a surprisingly high 4.76 ERA.

Bullpen                        Advantage: Miami

Miami’s bullpen has been impeccable. Heading into this week, the bullpen as a whole had an ERA of 1.67. The dynamic duo of Taylor Wulf and Kyle Bellamy only allowed two earned runs in 29.2 innings pitched. Georgia Tech has a solid closer of its own in freshman Mark Pope. In his last seven appearances, Pope is 2-0 with five saves.

Infield                         Advantage: Even

Defensively, Miami has committed the most errors in the ACC while Georgia Tech has committed the third fewest. Yellow Jackets third baseman Matt Skole is the reigning ACC Player of the Week. Georgia Tech first baseman Tony Plagman leads the team in average, hits and RBIs. Ryan Jackson is coming off his best offensive week of the season, when he belted three home runs. Miami second baseman Scott Lawson leads the team in hits, doubles, and total bases.

Outfield                      Advantage: Miami

Hurricane freshman outfielder Ted Blackman has been on a tear since being inserted in the starting lineup. He was 5-for-9 with two RBIs in Charlottesville this past weekend. Centerfielder Nathan Melendres hits .355 during weekend play. Georgia Tech’s catalyst is center fielder Jeff Rowland. He leads the team in stolen bases with six.

Justin Antweil

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...