Baseball

Baseball Matchups: Miami vs. Georgia Tech

Starting Pitching         Advantage: Georgia Tech

Georgia Tech’s weekend rotation has a combined record of 8-0. The Yellow Jackets’ ace, sophomore Derek McGuire, has a 1.87 ERA with 41 strikeouts, compared to nine walks. UM’s Saturday starter, David Gutierrez, has the best ERA, 0.88, in the ACC. Gutierrez has yet to allow more than one earned run in any of his five starts, while opponents are batting .196 against him. Sophomore Chris Hernandez picked up the first loss of his career, in 23 starts, last Friday against Virginia. He has a surprisingly high 4.76 ERA.

Bullpen                        Advantage: Miami

Miami’s bullpen has been impeccable. Heading into this week, the bullpen as a whole had an ERA of 1.67. The dynamic duo of Taylor Wulf and Kyle Bellamy only allowed two earned runs in 29.2 innings pitched. Georgia Tech has a solid closer of its own in freshman Mark Pope. In his last seven appearances, Pope is 2-0 with five saves.

Infield                         Advantage: Even

Defensively, Miami has committed the most errors in the ACC while Georgia Tech has committed the third fewest. Yellow Jackets third baseman Matt Skole is the reigning ACC Player of the Week. Georgia Tech first baseman Tony Plagman leads the team in average, hits and RBIs. Ryan Jackson is coming off his best offensive week of the season, when he belted three home runs. Miami second baseman Scott Lawson leads the team in hits, doubles, and total bases.

Outfield                      Advantage: Miami

Hurricane freshman outfielder Ted Blackman has been on a tear since being inserted in the starting lineup. He was 5-for-9 with two RBIs in Charlottesville this past weekend. Centerfielder Nathan Melendres hits .355 during weekend play. Georgia Tech’s catalyst is center fielder Jeff Rowland. He leads the team in stolen bases with six.

Justin Antweil

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

University of Miami student Kayla Crews has always been facinated with Japan and its culture. Partic ...

School of Communication senior Leah Brown attended Cannes Lions Festival, one of the largest annual ...

A University of Miami engineering faculty member discusses how California’s infrastructure fared dur ...

The University of Miami utilizes WeatherSTEM units on campus that continually scan atmospheric condi ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...

On Jan. 2, 2001, the Canes and Gators met for the first time in 13 years, renewing on of college foo ...