Baseball

Baseball Matchups: Miami vs. Georgia Tech

Starting Pitching         Advantage: Georgia Tech

Georgia Tech’s weekend rotation has a combined record of 8-0. The Yellow Jackets’ ace, sophomore Derek McGuire, has a 1.87 ERA with 41 strikeouts, compared to nine walks. UM’s Saturday starter, David Gutierrez, has the best ERA, 0.88, in the ACC. Gutierrez has yet to allow more than one earned run in any of his five starts, while opponents are batting .196 against him. Sophomore Chris Hernandez picked up the first loss of his career, in 23 starts, last Friday against Virginia. He has a surprisingly high 4.76 ERA.

Bullpen                        Advantage: Miami

Miami’s bullpen has been impeccable. Heading into this week, the bullpen as a whole had an ERA of 1.67. The dynamic duo of Taylor Wulf and Kyle Bellamy only allowed two earned runs in 29.2 innings pitched. Georgia Tech has a solid closer of its own in freshman Mark Pope. In his last seven appearances, Pope is 2-0 with five saves.

Infield                         Advantage: Even

Defensively, Miami has committed the most errors in the ACC while Georgia Tech has committed the third fewest. Yellow Jackets third baseman Matt Skole is the reigning ACC Player of the Week. Georgia Tech first baseman Tony Plagman leads the team in average, hits and RBIs. Ryan Jackson is coming off his best offensive week of the season, when he belted three home runs. Miami second baseman Scott Lawson leads the team in hits, doubles, and total bases.

Outfield                      Advantage: Miami

Hurricane freshman outfielder Ted Blackman has been on a tear since being inserted in the starting lineup. He was 5-for-9 with two RBIs in Charlottesville this past weekend. Centerfielder Nathan Melendres hits .355 during weekend play. Georgia Tech’s catalyst is center fielder Jeff Rowland. He leads the team in stolen bases with six.

Justin Antweil

Miller School of Medicine students are visiting barbershops to offer free health screenings to Afric ...

With a new name and a continued focus on excellence, students, faculty, and staff are excited about ...

The University of Miami’s Cuban Heritage Collection will host its third New Directions in Cuban Stud ...

Frost School of Music faculty member Carlos Abril highlights how demographic characteristics influen ...

The University of Miami is naming its business school in honor of Patti and Allan Herbert for their ...

University of Miami redshirt senior Beatrice Mompremier has been named Atlantic Coast Conference Pre ...

Few players in college basketball can boast the same type of winning pedigree as Nysier Brooks and n ...

Keith Stone had a bevy of options to pick from when deciding where to spend his final year as a coll ...

University of Miami student-athletes continued their strong work in the classroom this past year, po ...

University of Miami junior cornerback Trajan Bandy was named ACC Defensive Back of the Week after a ...