An introduction to Hurricane Productions’ Claudia Medina

JENNA KING // HURRICANE STAFF

JENNA KING // HURRICANE STAFF

Amidst the other people in the I-Lounge, Claudia Medina looks like any other student at the University of Miami. Relaxing on one of the couches in a UM hoodie and black leggings, one would have no idea by looking at her that she is actually one of the most influential students on campus.

That is what is appealing about Medina and what she has accomplished. She’s risen to the top of one of the most influential student groups on campus and she hasn’t lost her humble disposition in the process.

Medina, a senior double-majoring in political science and philosophy, is the president of Hurricane Productions (HP), the largest programming board at the University of Miami. HP is responsible for bringing the student population events like The Dark Knight and the Lord of the Rings marathon last semester at the Cosford Cinema, all of the live acts on the patio on Thursdays, guest speakers, musicals, plays and so much more.

In her two years as president, Medina has gained the respect and admiration of those that work with her.

“Claudia is a joy to work with,” said Meghan Ewing, chair of QuantUM Entertainment which is HP’s theatre and film production company. “She brings energy and enthusiasm to everything she works on. She’s been a great role model for me. I absolutely love her.”

For Medina, the feeling is mutual for all of her colleagues at HP.

“None of the amazing events and shows that HP is able to provide would happen if it weren’t for the people that run each committee,” she said. “Everyone is so talented and they all work so hard. I’m honored to work with them everyday.”

This semester, they are working harder than ever to bring the campus a wide range of entertainment.

“We have a ton of really exciting and eclectic bands coming to Patio Jams on Thursdays, and QuantUM has an amazing lineup of shows from ‘Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom’ to ‘The Vagina Monologues’ as well as their films that they produce every semester,” Medina said. “And that’s just the beginning.”

Best of all, HP events are always free for students.

In addition to the fun and entertainment, Medina hopes HP might even provide some thought-provoking messages to students.

Said Medina, “When students think of HP, I want them to think of good times. When they see the HP logo on advertisements for an event, they can trust that it will be an amazing show, an inspiring speaker, a fabulous movie. And hopefully they know that there is so much work put in to make those things happen. And that we do it for them.”

Jenna King

Contributing Columnist

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team picked up a victory ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...