Basketball

Underwhelming basketball season ends prematurely as Gators dump Canes fron NIT, 74-60

Guard Nick Calathes scored 21 points and center Alex Tyus added 13 as Florida jumped out to an early 20-2 lead and held on for a 74-60 victory against in-state rival Miami Friday night in the second round of the National Invitational Tournament.

The top-seeded Gators (25-10) improved to 18-1 at the O’Connell Center this season, tying a school record, and will host No. 2 seed Penn State on Tuesday night.

Forward Dwayne Collins led the Hurricanes (19-13) with 17 points and eight rebounds, while guard Jack McClinton was limited to just 13 points in his final collegiate game.

Miami started the season ranked No. 16 in the men’s poll, but dropped tough in-conference games to Georgia Tech, N.C. State and Maryland down the stretch.

As a team, Florida made seven of its first 10 shots and outrebounded the Canes 37-25 overall.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...