School of Business council to market the Red Cross

redcrosslogo

A group of students in the School of Business are taking on the task of market the Red Cross, one of the best known brands in the world, to people of their generation.

While the Red Cross is universally recognized as a sign of help and care, most people only volunteer during hurricane season or when a natural disaster occurs. The Red Cross desires to attract “volunteers for life” as opposed to just a couple of days. The University of Miami’s Hyperion Council has agreed to help with this initiative.

The Hyperion Council is a five year old undergraduate student organization in the School of Business focusing on developing projects to strengthen bonds between local businesses and university communities. Vice Dean Ellen McPhillip started the organization in conjunction with 4 of the founding members. Students must be a sophomore or junior in the School of Business to enter and there is a maximum of 19 Council Members.

Each year, the council initiates projects that link the university to at-risk communities and promotes important business concepts including market economics, entrepreneurship, personal and financial success, and business ethics to better each other, their community and their country.

“I am so proud of the members and their accomplishments,” said McPhillip, “What I like most is that the organization provides excellent leadership opportunities.”

Promoting the ideals of good corporate citizenship, the council embraces the Red Cross’s proposed objective. Specifically, the Red Cross wishes to rebrand by creating a new, more attractive image to target audience of 17-to-27 year-olds about their various services.

Members of the Hyperion Council are called Titans. Their mission is to embrace the values of integrity, resilience, fortitude, excellence and initiative, each Titan strives to enhance his/her surrounding community through generosity and innovation.

“We’ve moved into a phase where we’re researching all the different methods of getting the word out and the costs/benefits associated with them,” Titan Artie Pearsall said.

As the Red Cross is already popular, their efforts are not about awareness, more so creating a consistent presence. Afterwards, they check how everything is going and if they can do anything else to help.

“It’s going to be hard work, but we are committed. We have the whole Red Cross behind us,” Pearsall said.

Joi Bottino

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...