School of Business council to market the Red Cross

redcrosslogo

A group of students in the School of Business are taking on the task of market the Red Cross, one of the best known brands in the world, to people of their generation.

While the Red Cross is universally recognized as a sign of help and care, most people only volunteer during hurricane season or when a natural disaster occurs. The Red Cross desires to attract “volunteers for life” as opposed to just a couple of days. The University of Miami’s Hyperion Council has agreed to help with this initiative.

The Hyperion Council is a five year old undergraduate student organization in the School of Business focusing on developing projects to strengthen bonds between local businesses and university communities. Vice Dean Ellen McPhillip started the organization in conjunction with 4 of the founding members. Students must be a sophomore or junior in the School of Business to enter and there is a maximum of 19 Council Members.

Each year, the council initiates projects that link the university to at-risk communities and promotes important business concepts including market economics, entrepreneurship, personal and financial success, and business ethics to better each other, their community and their country.

“I am so proud of the members and their accomplishments,” said McPhillip, “What I like most is that the organization provides excellent leadership opportunities.”

Promoting the ideals of good corporate citizenship, the council embraces the Red Cross’s proposed objective. Specifically, the Red Cross wishes to rebrand by creating a new, more attractive image to target audience of 17-to-27 year-olds about their various services.

Members of the Hyperion Council are called Titans. Their mission is to embrace the values of integrity, resilience, fortitude, excellence and initiative, each Titan strives to enhance his/her surrounding community through generosity and innovation.

“We’ve moved into a phase where we’re researching all the different methods of getting the word out and the costs/benefits associated with them,” Titan Artie Pearsall said.

As the Red Cross is already popular, their efforts are not about awareness, more so creating a consistent presence. Afterwards, they check how everything is going and if they can do anything else to help.

“It’s going to be hard work, but we are committed. We have the whole Red Cross behind us,” Pearsall said.

Joi Bottino

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

Junior Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team opened the 2018 fall campaign fo ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will return to the courts Friday morning, opening up ...

The University of Miami soccer team fell to 12th-ranked Duke, 2-0, Thursday night in front a packed ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...