School of Business council to market the Red Cross

redcrosslogo

A group of students in the School of Business are taking on the task of market the Red Cross, one of the best known brands in the world, to people of their generation.

While the Red Cross is universally recognized as a sign of help and care, most people only volunteer during hurricane season or when a natural disaster occurs. The Red Cross desires to attract “volunteers for life” as opposed to just a couple of days. The University of Miami’s Hyperion Council has agreed to help with this initiative.

The Hyperion Council is a five year old undergraduate student organization in the School of Business focusing on developing projects to strengthen bonds between local businesses and university communities. Vice Dean Ellen McPhillip started the organization in conjunction with 4 of the founding members. Students must be a sophomore or junior in the School of Business to enter and there is a maximum of 19 Council Members.

Each year, the council initiates projects that link the university to at-risk communities and promotes important business concepts including market economics, entrepreneurship, personal and financial success, and business ethics to better each other, their community and their country.

“I am so proud of the members and their accomplishments,” said McPhillip, “What I like most is that the organization provides excellent leadership opportunities.”

Promoting the ideals of good corporate citizenship, the council embraces the Red Cross’s proposed objective. Specifically, the Red Cross wishes to rebrand by creating a new, more attractive image to target audience of 17-to-27 year-olds about their various services.

Members of the Hyperion Council are called Titans. Their mission is to embrace the values of integrity, resilience, fortitude, excellence and initiative, each Titan strives to enhance his/her surrounding community through generosity and innovation.

“We’ve moved into a phase where we’re researching all the different methods of getting the word out and the costs/benefits associated with them,” Titan Artie Pearsall said.

As the Red Cross is already popular, their efforts are not about awareness, more so creating a consistent presence. Afterwards, they check how everything is going and if they can do anything else to help.

“It’s going to be hard work, but we are committed. We have the whole Red Cross behind us,” Pearsall said.

Joi Bottino

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

As has been the case all season, the Miami women's tennis team is top-20 in the Oracle/ITA nati ...