Basketball

Canes fall to Virginia Tech in ACC tournament, 65-47

Senior center Jimmy Graham appears dejected during the final moments of Miami's 65-47 loss to Virginia Tech. The defeat likely ends the Canes' hopes to get in the NCAA Tournament. COREY ERB // Hurricane Staff

Miami struggled in the second half Thursday and fell to Virginia Tech in the first round of the ACC Tournament, 65-47, ending their run in Atlanta and likely ending their major post-season hopes.

The Canes played close with the Hokies for much of the first half, trailing by four at the break. But a 14-0 run gave Virginia Tech a lead they would not relinquish.

Senior guard Jack McClinton struggled on the day, scoring only nine points and going 1-of-6 from beyond three-point range. The one three-point shot he made marked the 33rd straight game in which McClinton has hit a three-pointer, a school record.

Miami now waits for Sunday for the results from the NCAA Tournament selection committee, although with the loss, it’s virtually impossible for Miami to be selected. It’s much more likely that Miami will be selected to participate in the National Invitational Tournament, or NIT. Miami last participated in the NIT in 2006, losing in the first round.

For more from Atlanta and wherever Miami’s post-season may take them, visit Corey’s Stories at blogs.TheMiamiHurricane.com.

Matthew Bunch

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ You know when you will know the Hurricanes are really bac ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Canes find themselves in the mix for a couple o ...

It was May 2015, and the Miami Herald was reporting for a feature on high school football players ab ...

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

The 2019 NFL draft begins tonight from Nashville, Tennessee, and continues through Saturday with sev ...

The final concrete slabs for the 25 interconnected buildings of the newly named Lakeside Village are ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team won ACC Player of the Year for the seco ...

Sophomore Adria Soriano Barrera earned second team accolades for the second straight season, while f ...

Miami and adidas today unveiled the first-ever baseball jerseys made from Parley Ocean Plastic. ...

Michael Amditis tied a career-high with three hits and a homer to help the #24 Canes sweep FIU. ...

Miami earns sixth seed in Cle Elum Regional, hosted by the University of Washington. ...