Basketball

Canes fall to Virginia Tech in ACC tournament, 65-47

Senior center Jimmy Graham appears dejected during the final moments of Miami's 65-47 loss to Virginia Tech. The defeat likely ends the Canes' hopes to get in the NCAA Tournament. COREY ERB // Hurricane Staff

Miami struggled in the second half Thursday and fell to Virginia Tech in the first round of the ACC Tournament, 65-47, ending their run in Atlanta and likely ending their major post-season hopes.

The Canes played close with the Hokies for much of the first half, trailing by four at the break. But a 14-0 run gave Virginia Tech a lead they would not relinquish.

Senior guard Jack McClinton struggled on the day, scoring only nine points and going 1-of-6 from beyond three-point range. The one three-point shot he made marked the 33rd straight game in which McClinton has hit a three-pointer, a school record.

Miami now waits for Sunday for the results from the NCAA Tournament selection committee, although with the loss, it’s virtually impossible for Miami to be selected. It’s much more likely that Miami will be selected to participate in the National Invitational Tournament, or NIT. Miami last participated in the NIT in 2006, losing in the first round.

For more from Atlanta and wherever Miami’s post-season may take them, visit Corey’s Stories at blogs.TheMiamiHurricane.com.

Matthew Bunch

Before Daniel Carter decided to sign with the Pittsburgh Panthers out of St. Thomas Aquinas, the fou ...

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Thursday that ESPN reporter and UM alumna Allison Williams w ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...