Basketball

Canes fall to Virginia Tech in ACC tournament, 65-47

Senior center Jimmy Graham appears dejected during the final moments of Miami's 65-47 loss to Virginia Tech. The defeat likely ends the Canes' hopes to get in the NCAA Tournament. COREY ERB // Hurricane Staff

Miami struggled in the second half Thursday and fell to Virginia Tech in the first round of the ACC Tournament, 65-47, ending their run in Atlanta and likely ending their major post-season hopes.

The Canes played close with the Hokies for much of the first half, trailing by four at the break. But a 14-0 run gave Virginia Tech a lead they would not relinquish.

Senior guard Jack McClinton struggled on the day, scoring only nine points and going 1-of-6 from beyond three-point range. The one three-point shot he made marked the 33rd straight game in which McClinton has hit a three-pointer, a school record.

Miami now waits for Sunday for the results from the NCAA Tournament selection committee, although with the loss, it’s virtually impossible for Miami to be selected. It’s much more likely that Miami will be selected to participate in the National Invitational Tournament, or NIT. Miami last participated in the NIT in 2006, losing in the first round.

For more from Atlanta and wherever Miami’s post-season may take them, visit Corey’s Stories at blogs.TheMiamiHurricane.com.

Matthew Bunch

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...