Basketball

Canes fall to Virginia Tech in ACC tournament, 65-47

Senior center Jimmy Graham appears dejected during the final moments of Miami's 65-47 loss to Virginia Tech. The defeat likely ends the Canes' hopes to get in the NCAA Tournament. COREY ERB // Hurricane Staff

Miami struggled in the second half Thursday and fell to Virginia Tech in the first round of the ACC Tournament, 65-47, ending their run in Atlanta and likely ending their major post-season hopes.

The Canes played close with the Hokies for much of the first half, trailing by four at the break. But a 14-0 run gave Virginia Tech a lead they would not relinquish.

Senior guard Jack McClinton struggled on the day, scoring only nine points and going 1-of-6 from beyond three-point range. The one three-point shot he made marked the 33rd straight game in which McClinton has hit a three-pointer, a school record.

Miami now waits for Sunday for the results from the NCAA Tournament selection committee, although with the loss, it’s virtually impossible for Miami to be selected. It’s much more likely that Miami will be selected to participate in the National Invitational Tournament, or NIT. Miami last participated in the NIT in 2006, losing in the first round.

For more from Atlanta and wherever Miami’s post-season may take them, visit Corey’s Stories at blogs.TheMiamiHurricane.com.

Matthew Bunch

UM Rosenstiel School researchers monitor nutrient footprint from offshore aquaculture. ...

Daily protests are taking place in Puerto Rico, calling for the resignation of Gov. Ricardo Roselló. ...

How will the sentencing of “El Chapo” impact the drug trade out of Mexico? Bruce Bagley, a professor ...

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

Junior offensive lineman Navaughn Donaldson was among those players selected to the preseason watch ...

Jonathan Garvin and Shaq Quarterman were named to the watch list for another major defensive award T ...

A trio of Miami Hurricanes were named to the 2019 All-Atlantic Coast Conference Preseason Football T ...

Junior defensive back Trajan Bandy was among those players named to the 2019 Jim Thorpe Award Presea ...

Seniors Michael Pinckney and Shaquille Quarterman were among those players named to the watch list f ...