UMPD creates Facebook group

The University of Miami Police Department wants you as their fan – on Facebook.

You see them around campus making sure we don’t run stop signs and giving out tickets when we feel the need for speed, but what about Facebook?

The UMPD is online now and is looking for fans on Facebook.

“That’s hilarious,” Michelle Quesada said. “ I guess they gave into the craze. I feel like you can literally find anyone on this thing,.”

Over 500 police departments got on board the Facebook Train. Crime prevention officer John Pepper said the main reason for opening this group is because they saw that many other police departments are on the network and it seems like an easy way to keep in touch. It is also a way to see how the community will respond.

Because the UMPD did not want to be held responsible for any content found on profiles that may be on their friends list, they decided to have fans instead of friends.

“I am a fan of the commencement group online because I am graduating this year, and I feel like it keeps me in touch with what is going on, but I am not sure I would add the UMPD,” Stephanie Cerevino said.

Many students feel that if there is an important message that needs to get around, the emails and text messages are more efficient.

The group had 41 fans at the time of publication.

“Most of our fans are actually outside of the university,” Officer John Pepper said.

The UMPD is also on MySpace and would like to know how the UM community feels. Students and faculty can express their ideas through a wall post or by calling the department at (305) 284-6666

Diana Escobar

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

The University of Miami connects scholarship recipients with the donors who helped make their educat ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...