‘The Class’ looks at diversity in today’s France

One of the most notable aspects of Entre les Murs (Between the Walls, or, as it was titled for its American release, The Class) is the fact that there is no plot. There is no anticipation, climax, or even a real conclusion, just the start of the summer vacation. The Class, which won the Palme d’Or at this year’s Cannes Film Festival, is merely a look at the diverse inhabitants of a Parisian classroom over the course of one school year in which one teacher is nearly driven to insanity.

The films sees its subjects – all of whom are real Parisians portraying slightly fictionalized versions of themselves – through France’s equivalent of the eighth grade. The teacher, Mr. Marin (played by François Bégadeau, who wrote the novel the film was based on), quickly grows exasperated with his students, who represent each of France’s immigrant populations. Mr. Marin argues with his charges, speaks without thinking, and ultimately struggles to survive the year. The kids do not see themselves as French – rather, Moroccan, Caribbean, Malian and so on – and are resentful of the French identity they see as being forced upon them.

The Class may be a bit slow, but it proves that the challenges of adolescence and education are not just relegated to the United States. This film is at its best when it sticks to improvisation, not when it makes vague attempts to adhere to a storyline.

Rating: 3/4

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

As has been the case all season, the Miami women's tennis team is top-20 in the Oracle/ITA nati ...