Sports Briefs

ROWING

The University of Miami rowing team opened up its season by taking the fastest Varsity 8 time in a tri-meet against the University of Rochester and Dowling College on Wednesday in Miami Beach.

Senior bow Marleena Eyre, seniors Laura Cordner and Rachael Sporko, sophomore coxswain Shira Kharraz, sophomores Monika Sajincic, Emily Wingrove and Sarah Medland, freshman stroke Frida Schneider and freshman Camilla Espana helped the team finish with a time of 6:52.06, ahead of Rochester’s 7:14.86 and Dowling’s 7:16.78.

Miami hosts the University of Connecticut today at 9 a.m.

FOOTBALL

Hurricane football’s first open practice of the spring will be held today at 6:30 p.m. at Traz Powell Stadium, located on the north campus of Miami-Dade College (11380 NW 27th Ave.). Fans will also have the opportunity to purchase season tickets.

MEN’S BASKETBALL

Senior guard Jack McClinton was one of two basketball players that received the Weaver-James-Corrigan Honorary Award. It recognizes individuals that intend to compete at the Olympics or professional level for their outstanding performance in both athletic competition and the classroom.

The Weaver-James-Corrigan Award is named in honor of the late Jim Weaver and Bob James, as well as Gene Corrigan, all former ACC commissioners.

Seniors Britta Boesing (women’s swimming & diving), Corynn Carino (women’s soccer) and Nene Kamate (women’s track & field) are recipients of the Weaver-James-Corrigan and Jim and Pat Thacker postgraduate scholarships. These $5,000 scholarships are awarded to student-athletes who intend to pursue a graduate degree.

TRACK/FIELD

Senior Murielle Ahoure, sophomore Ti’erra Brown and junior Mikese Morse will compete at the NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships this weekend at Texas A&M’s McFerrin Athletic Center in College Station.

The 24th-ranked women’s team will be represented by Ahoure, the ACC Indoor Track and Field Performer of the Year and the top-ranked sprinter in the 60-meter dash (7.17 seconds) and third in the 200-meters (23.14 seconds). Brown, who earned All-American status last year in the 400-meter hurdles, is 16th in the 60-meter hurdles. Morse, an All-American, recorded a personal-best in the long jump at the ACC championships, where he reached a distance of 7.90m and took second place.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Hosmay Lopez, a meteorologist at the University of Miami Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmosp ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

The overnight pre-orientation program – now in its 30th year – welcomes newly admitted first-year co ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...

The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) has awarded the University of Miami a 2019 NCAA ...

Dane Dunlap, William Grattan-Smith and Franco Aubone were each selected as All-Academic Scholar Athl ...