Our opinion: Spring break visitors cramping our style

For some of us, the Grove is only blossoming in our hearts. But for others, particularly seniors, Coconut Grove is part of our home. The Grove is a two and – for others (see: alcoholics) – three time-per-week ordeal.

When’s the last time you waited on a line to get into Barracuda’s? What about Boardwalk, for Pete’s sake? Swarms of Gotti brothers look-alikes from up north have overrun our neighborhood and bought out CVS and Walgreen’s for their entire supply of hair gel. We’re not going to stand for it.

We understand that in these tough economic times in South Florida, tourist dollars are more valuable than ever. It’s not that we want to shun potential visitors, it’s just that we have very few places to ourselves in this town. Coconut Grove is the closest thing many of us have to a real “college town” feel, and when snowbirds start cramping our style and our bars, it makes us a little…perturbed.

You might be curious as to what counter-measures might help in avoiding and/or destroying these “SB ‘09ers”. Whoever said “it doesn’t hurt to try” was brilliant. If you encounter a line at Barracuda’s or Mr. Moe’s, stealthily head towards the front door. When the bouncer sticks his hand out, sympathize, empathize and realize that you’re part of the local crew. Tell him how much you hate these f-ing kids coming to your bars and that most of them are underage.

It is probable that you have friends of friends coming into town over the next few weeks, and by all means, show them the time of their lives. Show them how the Canes do it every day.
If you’re unfortunate enough to have to talk to one of these kids not visiting anyone, convince them that South Beach is better and that’s what spring break is really about. Whatever you have to do to get these kids out of our bars, do it.

Editorial Board

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...