Our opinion: Spring break visitors cramping our style

For some of us, the Grove is only blossoming in our hearts. But for others, particularly seniors, Coconut Grove is part of our home. The Grove is a two and – for others (see: alcoholics) – three time-per-week ordeal.

When’s the last time you waited on a line to get into Barracuda’s? What about Boardwalk, for Pete’s sake? Swarms of Gotti brothers look-alikes from up north have overrun our neighborhood and bought out CVS and Walgreen’s for their entire supply of hair gel. We’re not going to stand for it.

We understand that in these tough economic times in South Florida, tourist dollars are more valuable than ever. It’s not that we want to shun potential visitors, it’s just that we have very few places to ourselves in this town. Coconut Grove is the closest thing many of us have to a real “college town” feel, and when snowbirds start cramping our style and our bars, it makes us a little…perturbed.

You might be curious as to what counter-measures might help in avoiding and/or destroying these “SB ‘09ers”. Whoever said “it doesn’t hurt to try” was brilliant. If you encounter a line at Barracuda’s or Mr. Moe’s, stealthily head towards the front door. When the bouncer sticks his hand out, sympathize, empathize and realize that you’re part of the local crew. Tell him how much you hate these f-ing kids coming to your bars and that most of them are underage.

It is probable that you have friends of friends coming into town over the next few weeks, and by all means, show them the time of their lives. Show them how the Canes do it every day.
If you’re unfortunate enough to have to talk to one of these kids not visiting anyone, convince them that South Beach is better and that’s what spring break is really about. Whatever you have to do to get these kids out of our bars, do it.

Editorial Board

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

Junior Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team opened the 2018 fall campaign fo ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will return to the courts Friday morning, opening up ...

The University of Miami soccer team fell to 12th-ranked Duke, 2-0, Thursday night in front a packed ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...