Our opinion: Spring break visitors cramping our style

For some of us, the Grove is only blossoming in our hearts. But for others, particularly seniors, Coconut Grove is part of our home. The Grove is a two and – for others (see: alcoholics) – three time-per-week ordeal.

When’s the last time you waited on a line to get into Barracuda’s? What about Boardwalk, for Pete’s sake? Swarms of Gotti brothers look-alikes from up north have overrun our neighborhood and bought out CVS and Walgreen’s for their entire supply of hair gel. We’re not going to stand for it.

We understand that in these tough economic times in South Florida, tourist dollars are more valuable than ever. It’s not that we want to shun potential visitors, it’s just that we have very few places to ourselves in this town. Coconut Grove is the closest thing many of us have to a real “college town” feel, and when snowbirds start cramping our style and our bars, it makes us a little…perturbed.

You might be curious as to what counter-measures might help in avoiding and/or destroying these “SB ‘09ers”. Whoever said “it doesn’t hurt to try” was brilliant. If you encounter a line at Barracuda’s or Mr. Moe’s, stealthily head towards the front door. When the bouncer sticks his hand out, sympathize, empathize and realize that you’re part of the local crew. Tell him how much you hate these f-ing kids coming to your bars and that most of them are underage.

It is probable that you have friends of friends coming into town over the next few weeks, and by all means, show them the time of their lives. Show them how the Canes do it every day.
If you’re unfortunate enough to have to talk to one of these kids not visiting anyone, convince them that South Beach is better and that’s what spring break is really about. Whatever you have to do to get these kids out of our bars, do it.

Editorial Board

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

As has been the case all season, the Miami women's tennis team is top-20 in the Oracle/ITA nati ...