Les Misérables – The musical or the audience?

A version of Les Misérables, the longest running Broadway musical of all time, has made its way to the Actors’ Playhouse at the Miracle Theatre.

Based on the epic novel by Victor Hugo, Alain Boublil and Claude-Michel Schönberg’s musical intertwines the lives of several characters as they cope with issues of social justice, forgiveness and atonement during the French Revolution of 1832.

Because Les Mis‘ score calls for firm acting and musical skills, it is a very difficult task to undertake, especially for a smaller theatre. Though some of the actors had prestigious credentials, the majority of the cast failed to adequately demonstrate their talents. Trent Blanton, who played Javert, Jean Valjean’s pursuer, had the musical chops for the role but he left this critic indifferent and bored by his failed attempt to portray Javert’s stubbornness and intimidating nature.

Christopher Hudson Myers and Nikka Wahl’s representation of Cosette and Marius’s love at first sight was less than convincing; though the characters’ instant attraction is a difficult task to pull off, their performance of “A Heart Full of Love” bordered on parody to such a degree that, at one point, the audience burst into laughter.

All things considered, the show had some perks, including director David Arisco’s castings of David Michael Felty as Valjean and Gwen Hollander as Eponine. Their voices were pleasing, and they displayed a genuine understanding of their characters’ intentions and motivations. However, the shining moments of the show were revealed in the scenes involving Gary Marachek and Margot Moreland as M. and Mme. Thénardier, with their contagious energy and hilarious chemistry as a pair.

Though the Actors’ Playhouse’s production of Les Misérables did little to woo fans of the show, newcomers may still be courted by the story’s richness and the performers’ musicality.

If You Go:

What: Les Misérables

Where : Actors’ Playhouse at the Miracle Theatre

When : March 4-April 5 Wed.-Sat. 8 p.m., Sat.-Sun. 2 p.m.

Cost: $15 for students on weeknights 15 minutes prior to show. Otherwise, $35-48

Carey Goldenberg

Senior EDGE Writer

The Miami Hurricanes have had almost a week to regroup after a road loss at Boston College, and they ...

Sam Brooks stood on the field at Orlando’s Camping World Stadium, tears welling up in his eyes, and ...

The Miami Hurricanes had just stunned second-ranked Louisville on the road last Sunday, in front of ...

Willie Moise was willing to give the Miami Hurricanes the benefit of the doubt when Manny Diaz left ...

The tweets that foreshadowed Thursday’s news for the Miami Hurricanes began the third week of Januar ...

Without their foresight and love of homeland, the collection—the largest repository of Cuban documen ...

In the wake of Justice Thomas’s jaw-dropping statement, UM media law experts weigh in on the landmar ...

Which film will win Best Picture? Who will be Best Actor? We asked the experts. ...

Political unrest has swept through Haiti recently, spurred on by escalating prices and alleged polit ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Michael Amditis hit his first career home run to lead the Canes past the Gators. ...

Three Miami track and field athletes made their way to the podium on Day 2 of the ACC Indoor Champio ...

In Friday's ACC opener, the No. 35 University of Miami men's tennis team topped Georgia Te ...

Game time is 2 p.m. in Coral Gables. ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set for its second in-state, top-25 showdown of the ...