Les Misérables – The musical or the audience?

A version of Les Misérables, the longest running Broadway musical of all time, has made its way to the Actors’ Playhouse at the Miracle Theatre.

Based on the epic novel by Victor Hugo, Alain Boublil and Claude-Michel Schönberg’s musical intertwines the lives of several characters as they cope with issues of social justice, forgiveness and atonement during the French Revolution of 1832.

Because Les Mis‘ score calls for firm acting and musical skills, it is a very difficult task to undertake, especially for a smaller theatre. Though some of the actors had prestigious credentials, the majority of the cast failed to adequately demonstrate their talents. Trent Blanton, who played Javert, Jean Valjean’s pursuer, had the musical chops for the role but he left this critic indifferent and bored by his failed attempt to portray Javert’s stubbornness and intimidating nature.

Christopher Hudson Myers and Nikka Wahl’s representation of Cosette and Marius’s love at first sight was less than convincing; though the characters’ instant attraction is a difficult task to pull off, their performance of “A Heart Full of Love” bordered on parody to such a degree that, at one point, the audience burst into laughter.

All things considered, the show had some perks, including director David Arisco’s castings of David Michael Felty as Valjean and Gwen Hollander as Eponine. Their voices were pleasing, and they displayed a genuine understanding of their characters’ intentions and motivations. However, the shining moments of the show were revealed in the scenes involving Gary Marachek and Margot Moreland as M. and Mme. Thénardier, with their contagious energy and hilarious chemistry as a pair.

Though the Actors’ Playhouse’s production of Les Misérables did little to woo fans of the show, newcomers may still be courted by the story’s richness and the performers’ musicality.

If You Go:

What: Les Misérables

Where : Actors’ Playhouse at the Miracle Theatre

When : March 4-April 5 Wed.-Sat. 8 p.m., Sat.-Sun. 2 p.m.

Cost: $15 for students on weeknights 15 minutes prior to show. Otherwise, $35-48

Carey Goldenberg

Senior EDGE Writer

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship one of th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...