Clarkson’s new album a return to form

While Kelly Clarkson escaped the stigma of being crowned American Idol‘s first winner, she still managed to create a successful solo career. All I Ever Wanted, released this past Tuesday, is a return to form for Clarkson.

Clarkson made her mark with 2004’s smash Breakaway (featuring her signature song “Since U Been Gone”) and attempted to destroy her public persona with 2007’s My December, an austere, thoughtful album that was decidedly not sanctioned by her handlers.

“My Life Would Suck Without You,” the first single off All I Ever Wanted, is a logical conclusion to “Since U Been Gone.” It is incredibly catchy and definitely the best song on the album.

“I Do Not Hook Up,” the album’s second single, fares a little worse than “My Life.” Co-written by Katy Perry and new Idol judge Kara DioGuardi, it simply lacks the spark that made previous singles so memorable. Likewise, “Long Shot” starts off strongly but becomes generic by the middle of the song.

What makes this album superior to My December is that she combines introspection with the fun, catchy musical style that made her famous. It’s hard to see All I Ever Wanted producing as many hit singles as previous albums, but it’s definitely a step in the right direction.

Rating: 2.5/4 stars

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...