Clarkson’s new album a return to form

While Kelly Clarkson escaped the stigma of being crowned American Idol‘s first winner, she still managed to create a successful solo career. All I Ever Wanted, released this past Tuesday, is a return to form for Clarkson.

Clarkson made her mark with 2004’s smash Breakaway (featuring her signature song “Since U Been Gone”) and attempted to destroy her public persona with 2007’s My December, an austere, thoughtful album that was decidedly not sanctioned by her handlers.

“My Life Would Suck Without You,” the first single off All I Ever Wanted, is a logical conclusion to “Since U Been Gone.” It is incredibly catchy and definitely the best song on the album.

“I Do Not Hook Up,” the album’s second single, fares a little worse than “My Life.” Co-written by Katy Perry and new Idol judge Kara DioGuardi, it simply lacks the spark that made previous singles so memorable. Likewise, “Long Shot” starts off strongly but becomes generic by the middle of the song.

What makes this album superior to My December is that she combines introspection with the fun, catchy musical style that made her famous. It’s hard to see All I Ever Wanted producing as many hit singles as previous albums, but it’s definitely a step in the right direction.

Rating: 2.5/4 stars

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

The Miami Hurricanes are usually off on Mondays. But today, the Canes (5-2, 2-1 Atlantic Coast Confe ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...