Clarkson’s new album a return to form

While Kelly Clarkson escaped the stigma of being crowned American Idol‘s first winner, she still managed to create a successful solo career. All I Ever Wanted, released this past Tuesday, is a return to form for Clarkson.

Clarkson made her mark with 2004’s smash Breakaway (featuring her signature song “Since U Been Gone”) and attempted to destroy her public persona with 2007’s My December, an austere, thoughtful album that was decidedly not sanctioned by her handlers.

“My Life Would Suck Without You,” the first single off All I Ever Wanted, is a logical conclusion to “Since U Been Gone.” It is incredibly catchy and definitely the best song on the album.

“I Do Not Hook Up,” the album’s second single, fares a little worse than “My Life.” Co-written by Katy Perry and new Idol judge Kara DioGuardi, it simply lacks the spark that made previous singles so memorable. Likewise, “Long Shot” starts off strongly but becomes generic by the middle of the song.

What makes this album superior to My December is that she combines introspection with the fun, catchy musical style that made her famous. It’s hard to see All I Ever Wanted producing as many hit singles as previous albums, but it’s definitely a step in the right direction.

Rating: 2.5/4 stars

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

As has been the case all season, the Miami women's tennis team is top-20 in the Oracle/ITA nati ...