Baseball

Canes make comebacks the latest fashion, sweep midweek games

HURLING THE HEAT: Kyle Bellamy pitches against Pittsburgh at Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field during the game last night.  The Canes won the game by a score of 11-6.  STEVEN STUTS // HURRICANE STAFF 

HURLING THE HEAT: Kyle Bellamy pitches against Pittsburgh at Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field during the game last night. The Canes won the game by a score of 11-6. STEVEN STUTS // HURRICANE STAFF

Call them the comeback kids.

For the third straight game, the sixth-ranked University of Miami baseball team erased an early deficit and overpowered its opponent for a victory at Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field.

Sophomore Yasmani Grandal and seniors Jonathan Weislow and Dave DiNatale each hit home runs for the Hurricanes (12-2) in an 11-6 win against Pittsburgh (4-4) last night.

Hitters six through nine collected six of the nine hits and drove in nine of the 11 runs for the Canes.

After falling behind 6-0, Miami scored 11 unanswered runs in four consecutive innings, beginning in the fourth and including a six-run fifth.

Grandal, who was the designated hitter and brought home a team-high four RBIs, hit a bases-clearing double in the fourth, which made the score 4-3. He later blasted a solo shot in the seventh.

“[As a designated hitter] last year, I kind of pressed a little bit while I was playing, but this year I’ve got a little bit more of a smile on my face if I’m behind the plate or not,” Grandal said.

Weislow’s three-run moon shot over the Qdoba sign in left during the fifth gave the Hurricanes their first lead at 9-6. Since the Florida series when he collected five RBIs, Weislow’s average had dropped to .258.

“It feels great. We definitely came out flat today, though. It’d be nice if we didn’t have to come back every day to win,” he said.

Freshman starter Daniel Miranda (0-1) was knocked around for the second consecutive midweek game and the bullpen continued its success with 6.1 scoreless innings as senior Jason Santana picked up his second win. Over the last 50.1 innings, Hurricane relievers have allowed just four earned runs.

The Canes committed two errors early on when preseason All-American Ryan Jackson, who has already chucked five balls and recorded only eight all of last year, saw the ball go under his glove. Freshman Harold Martinez also misplayed a ground ball.

As for overcoming the early defensive miscues and sluggish starts, head coach Jim Morris believes he has a solution.

“I’ve got the cure. We need to start the games at seven like we used to because we don’t start to play until seven anyway,” Morris said. “We didn’t get good starting pitching and I thought we were flat. But the good news is we didn’t quit, we battled back. For a young club, I think that’s pretty good. But I don’t think that that can continue if we want to go to the Promised Land.”

On Tuesday night, St. Joseph’s (1-8) took a 3-0 lead, but the Hurricanes came right back with four runs of their own and won 11-6.

Six different Hurricanes finished with multiple hits, including three hits apiece for junior transfer Scott Lawson and DiNatale.

Freshman Nathan Melendres’ 12-game hitting streak was snapped and he went hitless during the two midweek games.

Starter John Housey gave up six runs in four innings and junior reliever Michael Rudman (2-0) pitched 2.2 scoreless innings.

Miami hosts Duke (9-4, 2-1) for a three-game series this weekend, starting at 7 p.m. Friday.

“My prediction before the season started was that Duke will have the best club they’ve ever had,” Morris said. “I think their coaching staff has done a great job and they’ve improved more than any club in the conference that I know of.”

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...