Tennis

Canes blank Noles, win 7-0

For the fifth time this season, the University of Miami women’s tennis team personified perfection on the scoreboard.

Its latest victim: rival and No. 24 Florida State, who fell victim to the sixth-ranked Hurricanes, 7-0, Wednesday afternoon at the Neil Schiff Center.

After splitting a pair of conference matches against top 10 opponents this past weekend, Miami (13-3, 3-1) won all six singles matches and took the doubles point by winning two-of-three against the Seminoles (7-4, 0-2).

“I’m just really proud of the girls. They came out and beat an exceptional team, and looking at the scores, especially at one and two, to be able to come out and just take them out like that in straight sets says a lot about the top of our lineup,” head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews said. “Overall it was a bit of a statement match and we’ve kind of turned the corner coming into matches dominating rather than just existing.”

Sophomore Julia Cohen, fresh off upsets of two top-five singles players, including Clemson’s top-ranked Ani Mijacika, continued her hot streak with a convincing 6-3, 6-1 victory in the first position.

“It’s really exciting because going into this match I knew Miami lost to them twice last year,” said Cohen, who transferred from Florida and is the ACC Women’s Tennis Player of the Week. “I’m focusing better than my opponent and understanding my game better. Paige helped me out a lot.”

Miami hosts three noon matches next week, starting with No. 28 Arkansas (6-3) on Wednesday, No. 17 North Carolina (11-4, 2-0) Friday and third-ranked Duke (10-1) Sunday.

“They’re three great teams and that’s kind of Miami’s style, Miami’s mentality: to get us ready for ACCs and get us ready for NCAAs,” Yaroshuk-Tews said. “I like to not just play tough matches, but play tough matches pretty close to one another so the kids are tough and ready to play back-to-back matches come May.”

SINGLES
#1 (No.13) Julia Cohen beat (No.38) Noemie Scharle, 6-3, 6-1
#2 (No.39) Laura Vallverdu beat (No.41) Katie Rybakova, 6-2, 6-2
#3 (No.40) Bianca Eichkorn beat Laura Macfarlane, 1-6, 6-3, 11-9
#4 (No.63) Michaela Kissell beat (No.93) Federica Suess, 6-3, 6-1
#5 Gabriela Mejia beat Ania Rynarzewska, 6-3, 7-5
#6 Claudia Wasilewski beat Jessica Sucupira (Wente), 6-1, 1-6, 10-6

DOUBLES
#1 (No.32) Vallverdu/Kissell beat Scharle/Rybakova, 8-0
#2 Cohen/Eichkorn beat Suess/Sucupira (Wente), 8-1
#3 Mcfarlane/Bonny Davidson beat Mejia/Wasilewski, 8-3

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

University of Miami student Kayla Crews has always been facinated with Japan and its culture. Partic ...

School of Communication senior Leah Brown attended Cannes Lions Festival, one of the largest annual ...

A University of Miami engineering faculty member discusses how California’s infrastructure fared dur ...

The University of Miami utilizes WeatherSTEM units on campus that continually scan atmospheric condi ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...

On Jan. 2, 2001, the Canes and Gators met for the first time in 13 years, renewing on of college foo ...