AMELIA ISLAND for Spring Break

ILLUSTRATION BY LAURA PATRICELLI  

ILLUSTRATION BY LAURA PATRICELLI

Amelia Island, just 45 minutes outside of Jacksonville, is hosting its annual automotive charity event, Concours d’Elégance, at the Ritz-Carlton during the first weekend of spring break. The event is a weekend full of auctions and competitions for rare vintage cars that have been restored to mint condition by their owners, with the purpose of supporting charity organizations such as Community Hospice. The cars compete for best in show as judged by a panel of automotive experts who base their scores on the exterior appearance of the car, rather than the internal mechanics. The cars are judged on quality of restoration, authenticity and style. Though many of the events for the weekend are expensive and exclusive to members, Concours also offers inexpensive activities and some that are open and free to the public. Prices range from free to $300. Car buffs, try not to drool while gawking at the hundreds of rare beauties lining up in the Ritz. For more information, visit www.ameliaconcours.org

Carey Goldenberg

Senior EDGE Writer

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

Despite earning the doubles point, the No. 15 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision ...