Eaton students venture to the beach…for a good cause

Eaton residents went to Crandon Park on Sunday afternoon to enjoy a day of sun and service.

The trip, organized by Eaton Resident Assistant Melissa Meade, consisted of an educational component at the Biscayne Nature Center, as well as an hour of beach clean-up. Students who participated were given breakfast and lunch, provided by Eaton, and the chance to spend some free time in the sun.

In the nature center, students learned about marine life and were given the opportunity to touch sea urchins and starfish. Afterwards, they went down to the beach and were told to focus on picking up cigarette stubs and bottles.

“It was really nice because the people sitting on the beach kept coming up to us and saying ‘thank you,’” Meade said.

Meade, who is also vice president of the UM Rotaract Club, organized the outing as part of World Rotaract Week. The event was open to Eaton residents and members of UM Rotaract.

“I wanted to make it a fun service project,” Meade said. “In a dorm you have a bunch of different people with different interests. A beach clean-up is fun and not too overwhelming for people who aren’t used to volunteering.”

According to Meade, one member of Rotaract and around 15 Eaton residents participated.

Although Meade described the field trip as a definite success, she said that the turnout could have been higher considering that 400 students reside in Eaton.

Stephen Simbari, a freshman living in Eaton, said the trip was a great experience for him.

“What I really learned was that there is a lot of litter on the beach,” Simbari said. “I’ve littered, I’m not gonna lie. The trip made me more aware.”

Ali Leone, who was visiting Simbari from Quinnipac University in Connecticut, also participated in the trip.

“It was a nice activity for the day,” Leone said. “Touching the fish in the nature hut was my favorite part.”

According to Meade, the trip was not difficult to organize and she had no problem receiving funding from Eaton.

“We learned about animals and did community service,” Meade said. “The Biscayne Nature Center was very accommodating. It was a beautiful, brand new facility.”

Although she said that the turnout could have been higher, she said the outing was a great way for Eaton residents to bond and hopes to do more events like it.

Morgan Miller

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...