Wii competitions come to the Rathskeller

The Rat has caught Wii fever. The beloved campus restaurant will host Wii tournaments for anyone who dares to compete. John Creagh, a junior who serves as the Rathskeller Advisory Board’s special events chair, hopes students will enjoy the new event sponsored by the organization.

“We just wanted to come up with an event that would be hosted the Rat and decided we would come up with something that would really interest the gamers,” says Creagh.

The Wii tournaments are not limited to hardcore video game players. Members of Hurricane Productions, RAB’s parent organization, selected the Wii as the game console of choice because the system is arguably simpler than the Xbox or PlayStation.

“We chose the Wii because it is very user friendly,” Creagh said.

The tournaments will begin tomorrow with Super Smash Bros. Brawl. A “Wiimbledon” Tournament with Wii Tennis may happen in the future.

Interested participants are required to sign up when they arrive at the Rat before the tournament begins. The matchups are chosen at random and those who lose are eliminated until the final two compete for the first place prize. Winners will receive gift certificates of varying amounts to the Rat, depending on what place they finish.

In the final tournament of the semester, the winner will receive the ultimate prize. Although HP originally planned to give away the Wii game console itself, budget cuts changed the final prize to a $60 gift certificate to Best Buy.

“I like the idea of a Best Buy gift certificate somewhat better because it gives a wider variety of people the encouragement to try their luck at the Wii tournaments. This way more people will at least go to try to compete for the gift certificate, and if they win they are able to get something else from Best Buy if they choose to,” said Ariell Cooke, a sophomore who admits she not much of a gamer.

Since Wii consoles are inexpensive compared to other game systems and Creagh got a discount from one of the employees at Best Buy, the budget for the Wii tournaments fits very nicely with plans for the future.

“If there is a good enough turnout we will definitely do Wii tournaments at the Rat in the future,” Creagh said.

If You Go

What: Wii Night

When: Tuesday, March 10 at 7:30 p.m. and Tuesday, March 24 at 7:30 p.m.

Where: UM Rathskeller

Cost: free

Christine Williamson

Contributing Sports Writer

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...