‘Watchmen’ soundtrack thrills, even if the film doesn’t

In the case of Watchmen, the soundtrack is far superior to the film itself. While Watchmen had a great concept that translated poorly, the eclectic and mostly brilliant musical choices seemed to fill the gaps of the boring film.

Watchmen‘s soundtrack is reminiscent of Children of Men, in which Donovan and the Rolling Stones cover were paired with songs by the Libertines and John Lennon. Here, KC & the Sunshine Band stands alongside songs by Nat King Cole and Nina Simone.

The best-utilized songs are Simon and Garfunkel’s “The Sound of Silence” and Janis Joplin’s “Me & Bobby McGee.” Bob Dylan’s “The Times, They Are A-Changin'” is part of the most outstanding opening sequence in recent memory. While not heard in the movie itself, Massive Attack’s stunning “Angel” was featured in television advertisements, which, sadly, were one of the best things about WatchmenUnfortunately, the movie is forever tainted by awkwardly using Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah” as background music while Nite Owl II and the Silk Spectre get it on.

The Watchmen soundtrack also loses serious points for including My Chemical Romance’s abysmal cover of “Desolation Row,” a song that sounds so utterly out of place in the company of Dylan, Joplin and Simone. Perhaps it was a play for the younger age bracket that did not grow up obsessing over the original graphic novel, but it was simply a poor choice for the coveted spot of the last song of the film.

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are transforming weather forecasts by creating a seasonal for ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that it has agreed to a home football gam ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...