‘Watchmen’ soundtrack thrills, even if the film doesn’t

In the case of Watchmen, the soundtrack is far superior to the film itself. While Watchmen had a great concept that translated poorly, the eclectic and mostly brilliant musical choices seemed to fill the gaps of the boring film.

Watchmen‘s soundtrack is reminiscent of Children of Men, in which Donovan and the Rolling Stones cover were paired with songs by the Libertines and John Lennon. Here, KC & the Sunshine Band stands alongside songs by Nat King Cole and Nina Simone.

The best-utilized songs are Simon and Garfunkel’s “The Sound of Silence” and Janis Joplin’s “Me & Bobby McGee.” Bob Dylan’s “The Times, They Are A-Changin'” is part of the most outstanding opening sequence in recent memory. While not heard in the movie itself, Massive Attack’s stunning “Angel” was featured in television advertisements, which, sadly, were one of the best things about WatchmenUnfortunately, the movie is forever tainted by awkwardly using Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah” as background music while Nite Owl II and the Silk Spectre get it on.

The Watchmen soundtrack also loses serious points for including My Chemical Romance’s abysmal cover of “Desolation Row,” a song that sounds so utterly out of place in the company of Dylan, Joplin and Simone. Perhaps it was a play for the younger age bracket that did not grow up obsessing over the original graphic novel, but it was simply a poor choice for the coveted spot of the last song of the film.

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...