Sudan documentary to be shown at Baptist Collegiate Ministry

Imagine living in a place that is so uncivilized, so dangerous, that its inhabitants would walk over a thousand miles through bomb-ridden fields with minimal food and water just to escape.

That was reality for the “lost boys” of Sudan, whose journey to America and adjustment to modern culture is documented in the award-winning film God Grew Tired of Us. Their story is one of triumph, inspiration and hope.

There will be a screening of the film  Tuesday at the Baptist Collegiate Ministry (BCM) building on campus. The event will be co-sponsored by MiamiBCM, Mosaic Church, S.T.A.N.D., Invisible Children, Rotaract and Amnesty International.

“We each do our part in our circles of influence, but the reason for this night is to unify the student body for a common cause,” said Frank Zadravecz, a member of BCM’s leadership team.

Groups ranging from religious organizations to international anti-genocide and human rights associations worked together to bring this film to UM.

“We all have different ways of reaching the same message, which is that all human beings deserve to be treated with dignity and respect,” said Melissa Meade, a vice president of Rotaract and executive board member of Amnesty International. “This movie is a chance to spread the power of somebody’s story and make it real in the lives of college students.”

“We are always excited to work with other student organizations that are trying to make a difference, and the screening of God Grew Tired of Us is such an amazing opportunity…to expose students to social issues that we are all passionate about,” said Chelsea Werner, the president of Invisible Children.

Stephanie Sandhu, a member of S.T.A.N.D., agrees.

“It is only when we unite and organize together that progress will happen,” Sandhu said.

If You Go

What: Screening of God Grew Tired of Us, a documentary about refugees of civil war in Sudan

When: Tuesday, March 10 at 8 p.m.

Where: Baptist Collegiate Ministry, across the street from Mahoney-Pearson.

Cost: Free

Jenna King

Contributing Columnist

Miller School of Medicine students are visiting barbershops to offer free health screenings to Afric ...

With a new name and a continued focus on excellence, students, faculty, and staff are excited about ...

The University of Miami’s Cuban Heritage Collection will host its third New Directions in Cuban Stud ...

Frost School of Music faculty member Carlos Abril highlights how demographic characteristics influen ...

The University of Miami is naming its business school in honor of Patti and Allan Herbert for their ...

University of Miami redshirt senior Beatrice Mompremier has been named Atlantic Coast Conference Pre ...

Few players in college basketball can boast the same type of winning pedigree as Nysier Brooks and n ...

Keith Stone had a bevy of options to pick from when deciding where to spend his final year as a coll ...

University of Miami student-athletes continued their strong work in the classroom this past year, po ...

University of Miami junior cornerback Trajan Bandy was named ACC Defensive Back of the Week after a ...