Sudan documentary to be shown at Baptist Collegiate Ministry

Imagine living in a place that is so uncivilized, so dangerous, that its inhabitants would walk over a thousand miles through bomb-ridden fields with minimal food and water just to escape.

That was reality for the “lost boys” of Sudan, whose journey to America and adjustment to modern culture is documented in the award-winning film God Grew Tired of Us. Their story is one of triumph, inspiration and hope.

There will be a screening of the film  Tuesday at the Baptist Collegiate Ministry (BCM) building on campus. The event will be co-sponsored by MiamiBCM, Mosaic Church, S.T.A.N.D., Invisible Children, Rotaract and Amnesty International.

“We each do our part in our circles of influence, but the reason for this night is to unify the student body for a common cause,” said Frank Zadravecz, a member of BCM’s leadership team.

Groups ranging from religious organizations to international anti-genocide and human rights associations worked together to bring this film to UM.

“We all have different ways of reaching the same message, which is that all human beings deserve to be treated with dignity and respect,” said Melissa Meade, a vice president of Rotaract and executive board member of Amnesty International. “This movie is a chance to spread the power of somebody’s story and make it real in the lives of college students.”

“We are always excited to work with other student organizations that are trying to make a difference, and the screening of God Grew Tired of Us is such an amazing opportunity…to expose students to social issues that we are all passionate about,” said Chelsea Werner, the president of Invisible Children.

Stephanie Sandhu, a member of S.T.A.N.D., agrees.

“It is only when we unite and organize together that progress will happen,” Sandhu said.

If You Go

What: Screening of God Grew Tired of Us, a documentary about refugees of civil war in Sudan

When: Tuesday, March 10 at 8 p.m.

Where: Baptist Collegiate Ministry, across the street from Mahoney-Pearson.

Cost: Free

Jenna King

Contributing Columnist

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

The Miami Hurricanes are usually off on Mondays. But today, the Canes (5-2, 2-1 Atlantic Coast Confe ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...