Sports Briefs

FOOTBALL

Starting quarterback Jacory Harris completed his first 17 passes as he alternated series with quarterbacks Cannon Smith and Taylor Cook. He led the first team offense on a scoring drive during its first possession, which was capped off by a Graig Cooper one-yard touchdown run. The offense also scored on a Lee Chambers one-yard run in a goal line situation.

Safety Vaughn Telemaque and cornerback Brandon McGee each recorded interceptions. McGee, who joined the team in January, returned his 35 yards for a touchdown.

Miami’s first open scrimmage will take place at Traz Powell Stadium this Thursday.

TRACK/FIELD

Senior sprinter Murielle Ahoure was named the ACC’s Indoor Track and Field Performer of the Year after her performance at the ACC Indoor Championships during the last weekend of February.

Ahoure won both the 60 and 200-meter conference titles. She set the 200-meter meet record in the qualifying run with a time of 23.16, but broke it in the finals at 23.14.

The Bristow, Va., native will compete at the NCAA National Indoor Championships in College Station, Texas, March 13-14.

Soccer

Former University of Miami women’s soccer player Sheuneen Ta has been added to the roster of the Washington Freedom of Women’s Professional Soccer (WPS).

Ta was a Hurricane from 2003-2007 and played in 66 matches. She is tied for sixth place with 13 assists on the program’s all-time list. As a captain in 2007, Ta led the Canes to the team’s first NCAA tournament appearance since 2001.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship one of th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...