Sports Briefs

FOOTBALL

Starting quarterback Jacory Harris completed his first 17 passes as he alternated series with quarterbacks Cannon Smith and Taylor Cook. He led the first team offense on a scoring drive during its first possession, which was capped off by a Graig Cooper one-yard touchdown run. The offense also scored on a Lee Chambers one-yard run in a goal line situation.

Safety Vaughn Telemaque and cornerback Brandon McGee each recorded interceptions. McGee, who joined the team in January, returned his 35 yards for a touchdown.

Miami’s first open scrimmage will take place at Traz Powell Stadium this Thursday.

TRACK/FIELD

Senior sprinter Murielle Ahoure was named the ACC’s Indoor Track and Field Performer of the Year after her performance at the ACC Indoor Championships during the last weekend of February.

Ahoure won both the 60 and 200-meter conference titles. She set the 200-meter meet record in the qualifying run with a time of 23.16, but broke it in the finals at 23.14.

The Bristow, Va., native will compete at the NCAA National Indoor Championships in College Station, Texas, March 13-14.

Soccer

Former University of Miami women’s soccer player Sheuneen Ta has been added to the roster of the Washington Freedom of Women’s Professional Soccer (WPS).

Ta was a Hurricane from 2003-2007 and played in 66 matches. She is tied for sixth place with 13 assists on the program’s all-time list. As a captain in 2007, Ta led the Canes to the team’s first NCAA tournament appearance since 2001.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ You know when you will know the Hurricanes are really bac ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Canes find themselves in the mix for a couple o ...

It was May 2015, and the Miami Herald was reporting for a feature on high school football players ab ...

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

The 2019 NFL draft begins tonight from Nashville, Tennessee, and continues through Saturday with sev ...

The final concrete slabs for the 25 interconnected buildings of the newly named Lakeside Village are ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team won ACC Player of the Year for the seco ...

Sophomore Adria Soriano Barrera earned second team accolades for the second straight season, while f ...

The Miami track and field program is set to compete at the Tom Jones Memorial meet this weekend for ...

The No. 24 Hurricanes welcome ACC Coastal division foe Virginia Tech for a three-game series beginni ...

Miami and adidas today unveiled the first-ever baseball jerseys made from Parley Ocean Plastic. ...