Sports Briefs

FOOTBALL

Starting quarterback Jacory Harris completed his first 17 passes as he alternated series with quarterbacks Cannon Smith and Taylor Cook. He led the first team offense on a scoring drive during its first possession, which was capped off by a Graig Cooper one-yard touchdown run. The offense also scored on a Lee Chambers one-yard run in a goal line situation.

Safety Vaughn Telemaque and cornerback Brandon McGee each recorded interceptions. McGee, who joined the team in January, returned his 35 yards for a touchdown.

Miami’s first open scrimmage will take place at Traz Powell Stadium this Thursday.

TRACK/FIELD

Senior sprinter Murielle Ahoure was named the ACC’s Indoor Track and Field Performer of the Year after her performance at the ACC Indoor Championships during the last weekend of February.

Ahoure won both the 60 and 200-meter conference titles. She set the 200-meter meet record in the qualifying run with a time of 23.16, but broke it in the finals at 23.14.

The Bristow, Va., native will compete at the NCAA National Indoor Championships in College Station, Texas, March 13-14.

Soccer

Former University of Miami women’s soccer player Sheuneen Ta has been added to the roster of the Washington Freedom of Women’s Professional Soccer (WPS).

Ta was a Hurricane from 2003-2007 and played in 66 matches. She is tied for sixth place with 13 assists on the program’s all-time list. As a captain in 2007, Ta led the Canes to the team’s first NCAA tournament appearance since 2001.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Paradise Camp continues to pay dividends for the Miami Hurricanes. As the camp wrapped up Saturday, ...

As Manny Diaz puts it, Paradise Camp is the Miami Hurricanes’ bridge between three generations. It s ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Some scientists fear that the new fifth generation of wireless networks interferes with critical sat ...

A new study led by Miller School professor Dr. Claes Wahlestedt observes that key molecular programs ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...