New program has UMPD locking bikes

The officers of the University of Miami Police Department have started locking unsecured bicycles on the Coral Gables campus in an effort to minimize bicycle thefts.

In the past few years, the number of bicyclists on campus has risen along with the number of thefts. Most of the bicycles that have been stolen were not secured to a fixed object or not secured at all, according to UM’s crime prevention officer, John Pepper.

From 2006 until Feb. 28 of this year, 72 bicycles were stolen from campus.

The UM authorities expect the program to have three primary outcomes.

First, there will be fewer unattended and unsecured bicycles around campus, making for fewer “easy targets” for thieves to steal.

The second outcome, says Pepper, is that bicyclists will need to contact UMPD to have their bicycle unlocked, which will encourage them to secure their bicycle properly in the future.

Finally, Pepper said that if during the release process a police officer discovers that the bicyclist has not been issued a free U-Lock, UMPD will issue them one to make sure they now have the means to properly secure their bicycle.

“At first I was bothered when I got to my bike and had to wait for the police to unlock it, but I would rather that then no bike,” sophomore Nicholas Cavallo said.

The locks that the UMPD is using for the initiative are the same locks used for the free bicycle U-Lock and registration program. The only difference is that they are painted red and are specially marked.

“The idea was proposed and implemented by the University of Miami Police Department in an effort to reduce the number of bicycle thefts on campus,” Pepper said.

He continued to say that despite all the efforts that UMPD is making to reduce and completely stop bicycle thefts, “the bicycle theft rate is not declining.”

Although UM police heavily promote the availability of free bicycle locks, as well as bicycle theft prevention strategies, many students, faculty and staff still leave their bicycles unlocked. Numerous theft reports even cite that victims had a UMPD U-Lock at the time of theft but were not using it.

U-style bicycle locks are nine times more effective at preventing theft than traditional cable or chain locks, according to a statement released by UMPD. When you secure your bicycle to a designated bike rack, UMPD suggests securing the lock around a portion of the bicycle that can’t be easily removed (i.e. the frame).

A helpful tip offered to students, faculty and staff is to never leave your bicycle unattended or unsecured, even if it’s just for a short time. Bicycles must be secured to designated bicycle racks. It is against university policy to secure your bicycle to anything else.

To get a U-Lock, bring your bicycle and valid Cane Card to the UM Police Dispatch Center on the ground floor of the Flipse Building, next to the Ponce Garage, or go to www.miami.edu/police, click on the bicycle link under the bicycle registration section.

If you are witness to bicycle theft or have any questions regarding this policy, call the UMPD Crime Prevention Office at 305-284-1105.

Johnathan Beauchamps

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

It would be hard to blame Avery Huff for rethinking his commitment to the Miami Hurricanes right now ...

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses. UM defensive c ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

A UM medical team has released the first report of acute symptoms and clinical findings in 25 person ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...