Letters to the Editor

Letter to the editor: Response to criticism of WQAM announcer Joe Zagacki

Alumnus Ben Brislawn’s attack on UM sportscaster Joe Zagacki (Feb. 23-25) crosses the line of opinion or taste, into the realm of character assassination, and demands a response.

In my 23 years of teaching at the University of Miami, I have listened to countless games broadcast by Mr. Zagacki (who I do not know personally), and have always found his announcing crisp, efficient, informed – utterly professional. His devotion to the university is absolutely unquestioned, yet he will report with candor on a team’s deficiencies as well as its successes. His delivery is clear, entirely listenable, and not without humor. The young WVUM talent would do well to “go to school” on Joe Zagacki’s many strengths.

Finally, since Mr. Brislawn takes a potshot at him too, let me put in a word for Don Bailey, Jr., whose color analysis is a fine, enthusiastic complement to Zagacki’s steady play-by-play. The university is fortunate to have both gentlemen announcing its athletic events, and I hope they’ll continue do so for a long time.

Sincerely,
Peter Schmitt
Department of English

Hurricane Reader

Letter to the Editor

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...