Letters to the Editor

Letter to the editor: Response to criticism of WQAM announcer Joe Zagacki

Alumnus Ben Brislawn’s attack on UM sportscaster Joe Zagacki (Feb. 23-25) crosses the line of opinion or taste, into the realm of character assassination, and demands a response.

In my 23 years of teaching at the University of Miami, I have listened to countless games broadcast by Mr. Zagacki (who I do not know personally), and have always found his announcing crisp, efficient, informed – utterly professional. His devotion to the university is absolutely unquestioned, yet he will report with candor on a team’s deficiencies as well as its successes. His delivery is clear, entirely listenable, and not without humor. The young WVUM talent would do well to “go to school” on Joe Zagacki’s many strengths.

Finally, since Mr. Brislawn takes a potshot at him too, let me put in a word for Don Bailey, Jr., whose color analysis is a fine, enthusiastic complement to Zagacki’s steady play-by-play. The university is fortunate to have both gentlemen announcing its athletic events, and I hope they’ll continue do so for a long time.

Sincerely,
Peter Schmitt
Department of English

Hurricane Reader

Letter to the Editor

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...

The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) has awarded the University of Miami a 2019 NCAA ...

Dane Dunlap, William Grattan-Smith and Franco Aubone were each selected as All-Academic Scholar Athl ...