Greeks top goal during blood drive, collecting 1,015 units

This year’s annual Greek Week blood drive, themed “Blood Wars,” came to a close Thursday with a turnout of approximately 1,200 participants, including students, faculty, staff, alumni and members of the local community. Last year’s turnout was around 900 participants.

One of the core sponsors of the event, Blue Bell Ice Cream sponsored a new aspect of the drive this year: the Pint for Pint program. Students received a pint of ice cream for donating a pint of blood. With a goal of collecting 1,000 units of blood, the Greeks succeeded in collecting a total of 1,015, compared to last year’s 849 units collected. A unit of blood comprises whole blood, platelets and plasma donations. It is reported that the last time Greek Week collected 1,000 units of blood was seven years ago, according to information from Community Blood Centers of South Florida.

The sorority Delta Phi Epsilon and the Alpha Sigma Phi fraternity had the highest participation rates and were awarded trophies from Blue Bell Ice Cream, according to Leslie Elus, a senior and a Greek Week blood drive co-chair.

“A lot more people were involved this year and I’m very pleased with the turnout,” said Megan Anderson, a co-chair of Greek Week. All of the proceeds will go to United Cerebral Palsy of South Florida.

The blood drive is one of many events during the week-long Greek competition between numerous fraternities and sororities. The Greek organization with the highest percentage of donated blood would win the war.

“It’s my third time giving blood. It helps out my sorority but I always did it in the past since it’s for a good cause,” sophomore Liz Agans said.

Students and faculty donated blood at the UC Flamingo Ballroom beginning on Monday.

“This year, we focused on encouraging Greek and non- Greek students alike to come out and donate their time and blood for the cause,” Elus said.

Many non-Greek students did not hesitate to help save a life.

“I think it’s a good idea because a lot of people that wouldn’t normally do it come out, and there’s free food,” sophomore Leslie Boodry said.

Mikaela Green

Seniors Emily Gossett, Millie Chokshi, and Jason Kaplan are eager to implement their platform throug ...

Follow the sights and sounds of the pregame festivities in Orlando leading up to Saturday’s big game ...

A team of researchers created the first mapping model of its kind to track how hate spreads and adap ...

University of Miami professors who study water treatment and civil engineering say that water contam ...

University of Miami experts in health geography, law, and public health weigh in on some of the issu ...

The Hurricanes take center stage Saturday as the nation begins celebrating college football's 1 ...

Head coach Manny Diaz and The New Miami will make their debut against an old rival, facing No. 8 Flo ...

Freshman midfielder Ine Østmo joined the Hurricanes in January as an early enrolee from Mandal, Norw ...

Senior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Michael Pinckney and Zach McCloud have already made history ...

UM women's soccer opened its 2019 campaign by blowing past UTRGV, 4-0. ...