Greeks top goal during blood drive, collecting 1,015 units

This year’s annual Greek Week blood drive, themed “Blood Wars,” came to a close Thursday with a turnout of approximately 1,200 participants, including students, faculty, staff, alumni and members of the local community. Last year’s turnout was around 900 participants.

One of the core sponsors of the event, Blue Bell Ice Cream sponsored a new aspect of the drive this year: the Pint for Pint program. Students received a pint of ice cream for donating a pint of blood. With a goal of collecting 1,000 units of blood, the Greeks succeeded in collecting a total of 1,015, compared to last year’s 849 units collected. A unit of blood comprises whole blood, platelets and plasma donations. It is reported that the last time Greek Week collected 1,000 units of blood was seven years ago, according to information from Community Blood Centers of South Florida.

The sorority Delta Phi Epsilon and the Alpha Sigma Phi fraternity had the highest participation rates and were awarded trophies from Blue Bell Ice Cream, according to Leslie Elus, a senior and a Greek Week blood drive co-chair.

“A lot more people were involved this year and I’m very pleased with the turnout,” said Megan Anderson, a co-chair of Greek Week. All of the proceeds will go to United Cerebral Palsy of South Florida.

The blood drive is one of many events during the week-long Greek competition between numerous fraternities and sororities. The Greek organization with the highest percentage of donated blood would win the war.

“It’s my third time giving blood. It helps out my sorority but I always did it in the past since it’s for a good cause,” sophomore Liz Agans said.

Students and faculty donated blood at the UC Flamingo Ballroom beginning on Monday.

“This year, we focused on encouraging Greek and non- Greek students alike to come out and donate their time and blood for the cause,” Elus said.

Many non-Greek students did not hesitate to help save a life.

“I think it’s a good idea because a lot of people that wouldn’t normally do it come out, and there’s free food,” sophomore Leslie Boodry said.

Mikaela Green

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

The Miami Hurricanes are usually off on Mondays. But today, the Canes (5-2, 2-1 Atlantic Coast Confe ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...