Greeks top goal during blood drive, collecting 1,015 units

This year’s annual Greek Week blood drive, themed “Blood Wars,” came to a close Thursday with a turnout of approximately 1,200 participants, including students, faculty, staff, alumni and members of the local community. Last year’s turnout was around 900 participants.

One of the core sponsors of the event, Blue Bell Ice Cream sponsored a new aspect of the drive this year: the Pint for Pint program. Students received a pint of ice cream for donating a pint of blood. With a goal of collecting 1,000 units of blood, the Greeks succeeded in collecting a total of 1,015, compared to last year’s 849 units collected. A unit of blood comprises whole blood, platelets and plasma donations. It is reported that the last time Greek Week collected 1,000 units of blood was seven years ago, according to information from Community Blood Centers of South Florida.

The sorority Delta Phi Epsilon and the Alpha Sigma Phi fraternity had the highest participation rates and were awarded trophies from Blue Bell Ice Cream, according to Leslie Elus, a senior and a Greek Week blood drive co-chair.

“A lot more people were involved this year and I’m very pleased with the turnout,” said Megan Anderson, a co-chair of Greek Week. All of the proceeds will go to United Cerebral Palsy of South Florida.

The blood drive is one of many events during the week-long Greek competition between numerous fraternities and sororities. The Greek organization with the highest percentage of donated blood would win the war.

“It’s my third time giving blood. It helps out my sorority but I always did it in the past since it’s for a good cause,” sophomore Liz Agans said.

Students and faculty donated blood at the UC Flamingo Ballroom beginning on Monday.

“This year, we focused on encouraging Greek and non- Greek students alike to come out and donate their time and blood for the cause,” Elus said.

Many non-Greek students did not hesitate to help save a life.

“I think it’s a good idea because a lot of people that wouldn’t normally do it come out, and there’s free food,” sophomore Leslie Boodry said.

Mikaela Green

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...