ChabadUM to present Purim concert

Chabad at the University of Miami presents “Purim Concert on the Patio” in celebration of the Jewish holiday Purim this Tuesday on the UC Patio.

ChabadUM is sponsoring the free event. Organizations including Hillel, Zeta Beta Tau, Sigma Delta Tau and Sigma Alpha Mu will be participating in the event. Live music will be played by Hasidic rap star Dr. Laz.

David Lazerson, also known as Dr. Laz, has been featured on CNN, ESPN, the USA network and many others. His music features an eclectic blend of rap, rock, blues, reggae, jazz, bluegrass and gospel.

“We want people to come out and celebrate Chabad,” said Rabbi Mendy Fellig, a Jewish chaplain at UM. “Having the event on campus helps foster the Jewish community. We also invite those people who are not Jewish so they, too, can learn something about the culture.”

There will be a raffle, a falafel lunch, an all-you-can-eat Hamentash bar and Megillah readings.

The reading of the Megillah, or scroll, is the first religious ceremony for the celebration of Purim and, according to Fellig, is customarily read every night. The readings will be held in the upstairs of the UC and will be read on the hour, every hour, beginning at 11 a.m.

The event is Tuesday and will take place from 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.

Erika Capek

Assistant News Editor

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...