ChabadUM to present Purim concert

Chabad at the University of Miami presents “Purim Concert on the Patio” in celebration of the Jewish holiday Purim this Tuesday on the UC Patio.

ChabadUM is sponsoring the free event. Organizations including Hillel, Zeta Beta Tau, Sigma Delta Tau and Sigma Alpha Mu will be participating in the event. Live music will be played by Hasidic rap star Dr. Laz.

David Lazerson, also known as Dr. Laz, has been featured on CNN, ESPN, the USA network and many others. His music features an eclectic blend of rap, rock, blues, reggae, jazz, bluegrass and gospel.

“We want people to come out and celebrate Chabad,” said Rabbi Mendy Fellig, a Jewish chaplain at UM. “Having the event on campus helps foster the Jewish community. We also invite those people who are not Jewish so they, too, can learn something about the culture.”

There will be a raffle, a falafel lunch, an all-you-can-eat Hamentash bar and Megillah readings.

The reading of the Megillah, or scroll, is the first religious ceremony for the celebration of Purim and, according to Fellig, is customarily read every night. The readings will be held in the upstairs of the UC and will be read on the hour, every hour, beginning at 11 a.m.

The event is Tuesday and will take place from 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.

Erika Capek

Assistant News Editor

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

Come join head coach Manny Diaz and the Miami Hurricanes football program in the brand new Carol Sof ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...