Tennis

Canes split weekend matches

After moving up to sixth in the ITA poll, the University of Miami women’s tennis team faced a daunting weekend: two in-conference road matches against top-10 opponents in back-to-back days.

The Hurricanes (12-3, 2-1) overcame a 5-2 loss to eighth-ranked Georgia Tech (7-4, 2-1) with a 5-2 victory over ninth-ranked Clemson on Sunday afternoon.

Despite losing two of three in doubles competition for an early 1-0 deficit, Miami won five of six singles matches against the Tigers (8-5, 1-1). Both teams have four nationally-ranked singles players.

“Even though we didn’t get the doubles point, I thought we played really good doubles at the first and second position,” said head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews, whose No. 1 tandem fell 9-7 in the deciding point. “I think that really got the team focused, and they were just ready to play singles after that.”

No. 39 Laura Vallverdu took down fourth-ranked Josipa Bek, her highest-ranked opponent of the year, 6-2, 6-2, to tie the match at one apiece. When Clemson took a brief 2-1 lead with a win at number five, sophomore Julia Cohen, who is ranked No. 13, upset top-ranked Ani Mijacika in straight sets, 6-4, 6-1.

“Julia is getting comfortable, and she’s starting to believe in herself and her game,” Yaroshuk-Tews said. “She understands now that she has the ability to compete with a lot of players. A lot of kids don’t see her particular style of play, and it makes her a very difficult opponent to play against.”

No. 40 Bianca Eichkorn won 7-5, 6-3 at number four, while No. 63 Michaela Kissell continued her hot streak with a 6-3, 6-3 victory. It was her fourth win in her last five outings, and her third against a ranked opponent on the season.

Junior Claudia Wasilewski took the only three-set match, 5-7, 7-3, 10-2, for her fourth win in five matches.

“Each of the girls really showed up and persevered mentally after a tough loss yesterday,” Yaroshuk-Tews said. “I thought yesterday was a well-fought match, and we just fell short. We had to turn it around in less than 24 hours and play another top 10 program today. We just showed a lot of mental perseverance today to get the win.”

On Saturday, the Yellow Jackets snapped the Canes’ three-game winning streak. Cohen and freshman Gabriela Mejia collected the only two Hurricane points.

All but one of the singles matches were decided in three sets. Cohen grabbed her first of two matches against top-five opponents on the weekend with a 5-7, 6-3, 6-1 comeback against fifth-ranked Irina Falconi. Mejia stretched her winning streak to six before Sunday’s loss with a 6-7, 6-2, 6-4 comeback against Sasha Krupina.

Miami returns home to the Neil Schiff Tennis Center to host rival and No. 17 Florida State (6-3, 0-1) at 2 p.m. Wednesday.

“For all of our girls to come out and play great tennis today was phenomenal,” Yaroshuk-Tews said. “It was really an incredible team effort today. To beat teams like Clemson we’re going to need the entire team to show up. That’s what they did today.”

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...