Tennis

Canes snap two-game skid, win 5-2

The No. 51 University of Miami men’s tennis team took the doubles point and three straight singles matches to clinch a 5-2 victory against No. 58 Georgia Tech Saturday afternoon at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

Over their last two matches, the Hurricanes (5-4, 2-1) were swept in doubles action, which proved to be costly in tough losses at Florida and Florida State.

Senior Daniel Vallverdu and sophomore Carl Sundberg, who were the nation’s top-ranked tandem heading into the spring, won their first match 8-5, while sophomore Keith Crowley and junior David Simon came back to win 8-5 in the decisive third slot.

“It was huge for us to win the doubles point today,”  head coach Mario Rincon said. “Our number three team came through for us, being down a break. They were finally able to play at the level they’re supposed to and they were very aggressive and they were able to get it done. It was really the key to the match.”

Vallverdu, who is ranked 27th, saw his first singles action of the season after suffering a pectoral strain at the ITA National Indoor Championships in November. He lost in the first position to No. 11 Guillermo Gomez, 7-6, 6-1.

“Danny played a really good first set. I think that one call affected his game, unfortunately, but I was really glad to see him play at a really high level against a good opponent,” Rincon said. “He’s going to only get better from now on.”

Simon, senior David Rosenfeld and sophomore Christian Blocker each won in straight sets to seal the win against the Yellow Jackets (5-5, 1-1). Blocker improved to 3-0 in ACC play and 2-0 in the No. 2 position. Before Vallverdu’s return, Blocker had replaced him at No. 1 and struggled.

“[Christian] was able to get some weight off his shoulders and not feel the pressure so much,” Rincon said. “Even though he didn’t play a good match in doubles, he came back in the singles, and I thought he played really well there at the end.”

Sundberg, who is ranked No. 87, came back to win in three sets, 2-6, 6-2, 6-3, to remain a perfect 8-0 on the season. Freshman Ignacio Taboada dropped his second consecutive match, 6-7, 6-2, 10-3.

“As a team, we’ve got a lot of things to improve and it was really good for us to get a win against another ACC team,” Rincon said. “Today was a really tight match and I’m very happy that we got this win.”

Miami travels within the state to face South Florida on Friday and Central Florida on Sunday.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

University of Miami student Kayla Crews has always been facinated with Japan and its culture. Partic ...

School of Communication senior Leah Brown attended Cannes Lions Festival, one of the largest annual ...

A University of Miami engineering faculty member discusses how California’s infrastructure fared dur ...

The University of Miami utilizes WeatherSTEM units on campus that continually scan atmospheric condi ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...

On Jan. 2, 2001, the Canes and Gators met for the first time in 13 years, renewing on of college foo ...