Britney’s groove still MIA in Miami

Britney Spears is touching herself on a couch at the American Airlines Arena in downtown Miami.

“I find myself flirting with the verge of obscene,” she fake-sings.

Two male dancers descend from the ceiling and intertwine their legs and arms with her limbs.

Within seconds, the threesome shoots 20 feet into the air as Britney continues to perform “Touch of My Hand,” a song about masturbation.

You scream with shock and excitement, until you remember there are 8 and 9-year-old children behind you who came to the concert with their mothers.

But Britney’s overt and predictable sexual antics during her “Circus” tour are just one of the reasons why she is one of the world’s guiltiest pleasures.

Reason number two: On Saturday night, thousands of Miami fans each paid hundreds of dollars to watch arguably the most notorious train wreck ever strut across the stage while lip-syncing the entire time. During the “Britney as General” dance routine, the pop princess didn’t even count from one to 10 live. Everyone knows she’s vocally challenged, but surely she can count! Right?

Another gripe was that Brit only performed three original songs from her new album. Yes, there was a three-ring circus. Yes, there were magic tricks. Yes, tassels hung from Brit’s nipples. But don’t call it “Circus Live” if old songs like “Do Somethin'” are played instead of the fresh material from the Circus album.

Yet, as embarrassing as it is to admit, every second of the 90-minute concert/live music video was captivating. Whether Britney was a Bollywood dancer during “Me Against the Music” or gyrating against the bars of a cage during “Piece of Me,” everyone’s eyes were glued to this woman. Even if her dance moves weren’t as intricate as usual, it was enough for hardcore Britney fans that she was back in shape, could stand up straight, and was actually smiling. After all, little more than a year ago she was strapped to a gurney on live television.

All things considered, is Britney back? Has she reminded the public that she is one of the world’s most talented stage performers? Sadly, no. Brit has got a long way to go before she’ll be able to match the young woman who received a standing ovation for “Oops!…I Did It Again” at the 2000 MTV VMAs. However, “Circus Live” is a good way to start.

Nick Maslow

Of the Staff

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

As has been the case all season, the Miami women's tennis team is top-20 in the Oracle/ITA nati ...