Britney’s groove still MIA in Miami

Britney Spears is touching herself on a couch at the American Airlines Arena in downtown Miami.

“I find myself flirting with the verge of obscene,” she fake-sings.

Two male dancers descend from the ceiling and intertwine their legs and arms with her limbs.

Within seconds, the threesome shoots 20 feet into the air as Britney continues to perform “Touch of My Hand,” a song about masturbation.

You scream with shock and excitement, until you remember there are 8 and 9-year-old children behind you who came to the concert with their mothers.

But Britney’s overt and predictable sexual antics during her “Circus” tour are just one of the reasons why she is one of the world’s guiltiest pleasures.

Reason number two: On Saturday night, thousands of Miami fans each paid hundreds of dollars to watch arguably the most notorious train wreck ever strut across the stage while lip-syncing the entire time. During the “Britney as General” dance routine, the pop princess didn’t even count from one to 10 live. Everyone knows she’s vocally challenged, but surely she can count! Right?

Another gripe was that Brit only performed three original songs from her new album. Yes, there was a three-ring circus. Yes, there were magic tricks. Yes, tassels hung from Brit’s nipples. But don’t call it “Circus Live” if old songs like “Do Somethin'” are played instead of the fresh material from the Circus album.

Yet, as embarrassing as it is to admit, every second of the 90-minute concert/live music video was captivating. Whether Britney was a Bollywood dancer during “Me Against the Music” or gyrating against the bars of a cage during “Piece of Me,” everyone’s eyes were glued to this woman. Even if her dance moves weren’t as intricate as usual, it was enough for hardcore Britney fans that she was back in shape, could stand up straight, and was actually smiling. After all, little more than a year ago she was strapped to a gurney on live television.

All things considered, is Britney back? Has she reminded the public that she is one of the world’s most talented stage performers? Sadly, no. Brit has got a long way to go before she’ll be able to match the young woman who received a standing ovation for “Oops!…I Did It Again” at the 2000 MTV VMAs. However, “Circus Live” is a good way to start.

Nick Maslow

Of the Staff

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...