Baseball

Canes blank Wolfpack, win 4-0

Starter David Gutierrez (2-0) threw six scoreless innings of three-hit ball and two relievers pitched another three hitless as No. 8 Miami beat N.C. State 4-0 on Saturday night at Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field.

Despite throwing a complete game, Wolfpack starter Jack Buchanan (1-1) took the loss as he allowed four runs.

Leadoff hitter Nathan Melendres went two for four with an RBI and extended his hit streak to 11 to start his collegiate career. Junior Chris Herrmann knocked a solo shot for the Hurricanes (9-2, 2-0) in the cleanup spot.

Miami scored in three consecutive innings against the Wolfpack (7-4, 0-2), starting in the second. Preseason All-American Ryan Jackson knocked in one with a sacrifice fly and junior Jason Hagerty, a night after hitting a two-run, walk-off homer, produced an RBI groundout.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...