Baseball

Walk-off home run wins it for Canes in extras, 7-6

Junior Jason Hagerty hit a two-run blast in the bottom of the 12th to give No. 8 Miami a 7-6 comeback victory against N.C. State Friday night at Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field.

The Hurricanes (8-2, 1-0) came back from two late deficits – one in the ninth and one in the 12th. Freshmen Harold Martinez and Nathan Melendres each had a pair of RBIs, while Kyle Bellamy (1-0) threw three innings of relief and allowed no earned runs for the win. His ERA remains a perfect 0.00 on the season.

Preseason All-American Chris Hernandez avoided his first career loss after giving up three runs over six innings and trailing 3-1 when junior Chris Herrmann scored in the ninth on a wild pitch with one out. In the eighth, Martinez drove in two with two outs to make the score 5-4.

Reliever Kyle Rutter (1-1) allowed just one hit in three innings – Hagerty’s long ball – but took the loss for the Wolfpack (7-3, 0-1). The Pack snapped their seven-game winning streak.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...