Baseball

Walk-off home run wins it for Canes in extras, 7-6

Junior Jason Hagerty hit a two-run blast in the bottom of the 12th to give No. 8 Miami a 7-6 comeback victory against N.C. State Friday night at Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field.

The Hurricanes (8-2, 1-0) came back from two late deficits – one in the ninth and one in the 12th. Freshmen Harold Martinez and Nathan Melendres each had a pair of RBIs, while Kyle Bellamy (1-0) threw three innings of relief and allowed no earned runs for the win. His ERA remains a perfect 0.00 on the season.

Preseason All-American Chris Hernandez avoided his first career loss after giving up three runs over six innings and trailing 3-1 when junior Chris Herrmann scored in the ninth on a wild pitch with one out. In the eighth, Martinez drove in two with two outs to make the score 5-4.

Reliever Kyle Rutter (1-1) allowed just one hit in three innings – Hagerty’s long ball – but took the loss for the Wolfpack (7-3, 0-1). The Pack snapped their seven-game winning streak.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Romello Height already had a top five publicly revealed when the Miami Hurricanes finally stepped in ...

Mark Pope knows his freshman year with the Miami Hurricanes didn’t play out the way it was supposed ...

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

Some scientists fear that the new fifth generation of wireless networks interferes with critical sat ...

A new study led by Miller School professor Dr. Claes Wahlestedt observes that key molecular programs ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

Jackie Lippincott, Autumn Kramer and Meredith Costello were among the 61 student-athletes named to t ...

Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova of the University of Miami women's golf team were selecte ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...