Baseball

Walk-off home run wins it for Canes in extras, 7-6

Junior Jason Hagerty hit a two-run blast in the bottom of the 12th to give No. 8 Miami a 7-6 comeback victory against N.C. State Friday night at Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field.

The Hurricanes (8-2, 1-0) came back from two late deficits – one in the ninth and one in the 12th. Freshmen Harold Martinez and Nathan Melendres each had a pair of RBIs, while Kyle Bellamy (1-0) threw three innings of relief and allowed no earned runs for the win. His ERA remains a perfect 0.00 on the season.

Preseason All-American Chris Hernandez avoided his first career loss after giving up three runs over six innings and trailing 3-1 when junior Chris Herrmann scored in the ninth on a wild pitch with one out. In the eighth, Martinez drove in two with two outs to make the score 5-4.

Reliever Kyle Rutter (1-1) allowed just one hit in three innings – Hagerty’s long ball – but took the loss for the Wolfpack (7-3, 0-1). The Pack snapped their seven-game winning streak.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is on the verge of losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses ...

The postseason acknowledgments continue to roll in for Gerald Willis. The Miami Hurricanes defensive ...

It is recruiting season in college football, and the Miami Hurricanes have one particular commitment ...

The early signing period is right around the corner and the Miami Hurricanes have plenty of work to ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

The answer to that question may impact what happens to the European Union. ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...