Tennis

Canes blow by Boston College, 6-1

After moving up four spots in the ITA poll to No. 6, the University of Miami women’s tennis team took care of business by handling No. 58 Boston College, 6-1, Thursday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

For the first time in four matches, Miami picked up the doubles point for an early 1-0 advantage against the Eagles (4-4, 0-2).

Heading into their ACC opener, the Hurricanes (11-2, 1-0) were 57-12 in singles play on the season and 12-0 over the past two matches facing No. 18 Michigan and No. 21 TCU.

Sophomore Bianca Eichkorn, ranked No. 40, did not compete in singles on the day.

Miami will head on the road for back-to-back matches Saturday and Sunday at No. 8 Georgia Tech (5-4) and No. 9 Clemson. The Tigers (8-4) were last year’s ACC Tournament champions.

SINGLES
#1
(No. 13) Julia Cohen beat Lana Krasnopolsky, 6-3, 6-2
#2
(No. 39) Laura Vallverdu beat Lauren Cash, 6-1, 6-1
#3
(No. 63) Michaela Kissell beat Katarina Gajic, 6-1, 6-0
#4
Gabriela Mejia beat Katharine Attwell, 6-0, 6-4
#5
Claudia Wasilewski beat Alina Sullivan, 7-6, 7-5
#6
Alessa Waibel lost to Brittany, Delaney 2-6, 6-4, 2-10

DOUBLES
#1
(No. 32) Kissell/Vallverdu beat Cash/Sullivan, 8-1
#2
Eichkorn/Mejia beat Attwell/Krasnopolsky, 8-5
#3
Cohen/Wasilewski lost to Gajic/Mabatah, 8-6

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...