UM student dies in Singapore while studying abroad

A photo of Scott Monat on his Facebook rememberance page, "RIP Scott Monat"

UPDATED 3/4/09 6:55 P.M.

A University of Miami student studying abroad at the National University of Singapore has died.

Scott Jared Monat, a second-year neurobiology major, was found in a student housing kitchen at approximately 6 a.m. local time Wednesday morning, according to The Campus Observer, the student newspaper of NUS. It’s unclear at this time whether he was dead in the kitchen or died in medical care. A report from the Straits Times, the largest English-language newspaper in the country, is reporting that he was in Prince George’s Parks Residences, a location popular among international students and an option for living for UM students who study abroad in Singapore, according to the school’s Web site.

“He and some others had been making noise in the kitchen, then around that time he fainted,” said third-year engineering student Christopher Aldo to The Observer.

The cause of death has yet to be released by police in Singapore. The Straits Times is reporting that local police are handling the case as an unnatural death and are investigating.

Monat was a National Merit Scholar who attended Pope High School in Mariette, Ga. before he came to UM and received the Isaac Bashevis Singer scholarship, the highest scholarship awarded at the university. He was also a member of the College of Arts and Sciences’ Edward T. and Roberta Foote Fellows. He was also very involved in Hillel, the Jewish student center on campus.

“He was a great guy, good friend,” said Robyn Fischer, a rabbinical director at Hillel. “[Hillel] was a home away from home for him.”

According to a Facebook event site, there will be a gathering for Monat tonight at Hillel beginning at 8 p.m.

“The university offers its deepest sympathies and support to Scott’s family and friends during this difficult time,” a statement from UM’s media department said.”The university is working closely with his host university, the National University of Singapore, and the authorities in Singapore.”

According to university spokeswoman Margot Winick, there will be an event tomorrow night in the Hecht Residential College master’s apartment from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. Counseling staff will be available.

Matthew Bunch

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...