UM law student elected first president of the Florida Bar’s new division

mannello

MADELEINE "MADY" MANNELLO

Madeleine “Mady” Mannello, a second-year law student at the University of Miami, was the first elected president of the Florida Bar’s new Law Student Division (LSD). Her term will begin in June and will last one year.

Mannello was elected by the 30 members of LSD in February. This board is made up of three members from each of Florida’s ten law schools.

Manello won against members from Florida Coastal School of Law and Barry University’s Dwayne O. Andreas School of Law.

LSD had its first meeting in January 2008 and its current president was appointed by members of the Young Lawyer Division of the Florida Bar, the group responsible for creating this group. It was officially recognized by the Florida Bar in June.

Mannello, along with all the original members, were appointed to LSD by the organization.

Eventually, Mannello hopes that members from will be elected by the student body of the law schools.

Some of Mannello’s goals for LSD include more inter-school events and making the Law Board less intimidating.

“A lot of law students think of the bar as a really scary big brother that punish you if you do something wrong,” she said. “But there are a lot of benefits from knowing people at the bar.”

The LSD meets at the Young Lawyers Division Affiliated Outreach Conference and the Florida Bar’s Annual Conference.

Ed S. Fishman

News Editor

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...