UM law student elected first president of the Florida Bar’s new division

mannello

MADELEINE "MADY" MANNELLO

Madeleine “Mady” Mannello, a second-year law student at the University of Miami, was the first elected president of the Florida Bar’s new Law Student Division (LSD). Her term will begin in June and will last one year.

Mannello was elected by the 30 members of LSD in February. This board is made up of three members from each of Florida’s ten law schools.

Manello won against members from Florida Coastal School of Law and Barry University’s Dwayne O. Andreas School of Law.

LSD had its first meeting in January 2008 and its current president was appointed by members of the Young Lawyer Division of the Florida Bar, the group responsible for creating this group. It was officially recognized by the Florida Bar in June.

Mannello, along with all the original members, were appointed to LSD by the organization.

Eventually, Mannello hopes that members from will be elected by the student body of the law schools.

Some of Mannello’s goals for LSD include more inter-school events and making the Law Board less intimidating.

“A lot of law students think of the bar as a really scary big brother that punish you if you do something wrong,” she said. “But there are a lot of benefits from knowing people at the bar.”

The LSD meets at the Young Lawyers Division Affiliated Outreach Conference and the Florida Bar’s Annual Conference.

Ed S. Fishman

News Editor

Father, mother, and daughter will all be students at the University of Miami this fall semester. ...

UM weather expert and senior research associate Brian McNoldy explains the science behind lightning ...

As students make their way back to campus for the new school year, here’s a refresher on some of the ...

President Julio Frenk and student leaders formally welcome first-year and transfer students to campu ...

Marc Gellman, a University of Miami research associate professor, recounts his experience attending ...

On the final night of its trip abroad, the Miami men's basketball team defeated LCC Internation ...

Miami's defensive tackles have traditionally been some of the Hurricanes' best players, wh ...

Sophomores Brevin Jordan and Will Mallory look to follow in the footsteps of the greats before them ...

Jarren Williams stepped into the spotlight for the first time Tuesday as Miami's starting quart ...

Former Miami soccer player Dalanda Ouendeno is attempting to become the first foreign female pit cre ...