UM law student elected first president of the Florida Bar’s new division

mannello

MADELEINE "MADY" MANNELLO

Madeleine “Mady” Mannello, a second-year law student at the University of Miami, was the first elected president of the Florida Bar’s new Law Student Division (LSD). Her term will begin in June and will last one year.

Mannello was elected by the 30 members of LSD in February. This board is made up of three members from each of Florida’s ten law schools.

Manello won against members from Florida Coastal School of Law and Barry University’s Dwayne O. Andreas School of Law.

LSD had its first meeting in January 2008 and its current president was appointed by members of the Young Lawyer Division of the Florida Bar, the group responsible for creating this group. It was officially recognized by the Florida Bar in June.

Mannello, along with all the original members, were appointed to LSD by the organization.

Eventually, Mannello hopes that members from will be elected by the student body of the law schools.

Some of Mannello’s goals for LSD include more inter-school events and making the Law Board less intimidating.

“A lot of law students think of the bar as a really scary big brother that punish you if you do something wrong,” she said. “But there are a lot of benefits from knowing people at the bar.”

The LSD meets at the Young Lawyers Division Affiliated Outreach Conference and the Florida Bar’s Annual Conference.

Ed S. Fishman

News Editor

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that lead her to signing ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...