UM law student elected first president of the Florida Bar’s new division

mannello

MADELEINE "MADY" MANNELLO

Madeleine “Mady” Mannello, a second-year law student at the University of Miami, was the first elected president of the Florida Bar’s new Law Student Division (LSD). Her term will begin in June and will last one year.

Mannello was elected by the 30 members of LSD in February. This board is made up of three members from each of Florida’s ten law schools.

Manello won against members from Florida Coastal School of Law and Barry University’s Dwayne O. Andreas School of Law.

LSD had its first meeting in January 2008 and its current president was appointed by members of the Young Lawyer Division of the Florida Bar, the group responsible for creating this group. It was officially recognized by the Florida Bar in June.

Mannello, along with all the original members, were appointed to LSD by the organization.

Eventually, Mannello hopes that members from will be elected by the student body of the law schools.

Some of Mannello’s goals for LSD include more inter-school events and making the Law Board less intimidating.

“A lot of law students think of the bar as a really scary big brother that punish you if you do something wrong,” she said. “But there are a lot of benefits from knowing people at the bar.”

The LSD meets at the Young Lawyers Division Affiliated Outreach Conference and the Florida Bar’s Annual Conference.

Ed S. Fishman

News Editor

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...