U2’s newest not essential but worth a listen

Over time, U2’s music has become well acquainted with extravagant events – the Super Bowl, political rallies, sold-out stadium concerts – but that does not mean that U2 isn’t willing to take risks with their music. No Line on the Horizon is representative of the more daring side of U2, and while almost nothing on this album is on par with some of their classic albums, it stands alone in its own right.

While No Line features one of the worst-titled tracks ever (“I’ll Go Crazy If I Don’t Go Crazy Tonight”), songs like “Stand Up Comedy” and “Get On Your Boots” (with which they opened this year’s Grammy Awards) are worthy. The beautiful, sparse “Moment of Surrender” is the stand-out song of No Line, and, in time, it may reach the notoriety of “Beautiful Day” or “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For” as one of the band’s signature songs.

No Line is certainly not one of U2’s essential works, but it’s worth a listen if only to get listeners excited for the tour that is sure to follow the album’s release. Still, for a look at the classic U2, look to Achtung Baby or All That You Can’t Leave Behind.

Rating: 2.5/4 stars

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier is not relinquishing that starting job anytime soon. On ...

The Miami Hurricanes don’t just have a marquee season opener against LSU on their hands on Sept. 2. ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Monday: ▪ Here’s one encouraging development this month: The fre ...

The preseason love continues. The Associated Press unveiled its Top 25 preseason rankings Monday, an ...

The Miami Hurricanes on Monday had their first practice after their second scrimmage Saturday night ...

The University of Miami welcomed more than 2,300 new students to campus as the fall semester got und ...

Intergroup Dialogue, a pilot program that will soon become a UM elective course, promotes honest tal ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami checked in at No. 8 in the preseason Associated Press poll, marking its highest position in th ...

Miami and adidas today revealed their new environmentally-conscious alternate uniforms for the 2018 ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team picked up a victory ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...