U2’s newest not essential but worth a listen

Over time, U2’s music has become well acquainted with extravagant events – the Super Bowl, political rallies, sold-out stadium concerts – but that does not mean that U2 isn’t willing to take risks with their music. No Line on the Horizon is representative of the more daring side of U2, and while almost nothing on this album is on par with some of their classic albums, it stands alone in its own right.

While No Line features one of the worst-titled tracks ever (“I’ll Go Crazy If I Don’t Go Crazy Tonight”), songs like “Stand Up Comedy” and “Get On Your Boots” (with which they opened this year’s Grammy Awards) are worthy. The beautiful, sparse “Moment of Surrender” is the stand-out song of No Line, and, in time, it may reach the notoriety of “Beautiful Day” or “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For” as one of the band’s signature songs.

No Line is certainly not one of U2’s essential works, but it’s worth a listen if only to get listeners excited for the tour that is sure to follow the album’s release. Still, for a look at the classic U2, look to Achtung Baby or All That You Can’t Leave Behind.

Rating: 2.5/4 stars

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

Junior Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team opened the 2018 fall campaign fo ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will return to the courts Friday morning, opening up ...

The University of Miami soccer team fell to 12th-ranked Duke, 2-0, Thursday night in front a packed ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...