Sports Briefs

MEN’S BASKETBALL

Senior guard Jack McClinton was named to the National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) First Team All-District and is now eligible for the All-American Team.

This year, the NABC realigned its districts by conference, so student-athletes selected to the District 2 First and Second Teams were all from the ACC. North Carolina’s Tyler Hansbrough and Ty Lawson, Florida State’s Toney Douglas and Wake Forest’s Jeff Teague were the other first-team selections.

McClinton is the ACC’s all-time 3-point field goal percentage leader (.447) and also leads the ACC in 3-point field goal percentage (.481) and 3-pointers per game (3.2) this season. He ranks among the league’s top three in both scoring (19.7 ppg) and free throw percentage (.862).

WOMEN’S BASKETBALL

Forward Shenise Johnson was named to the ACC All-Freshman Team and became the first Hurricane named to the team.

On the season, Johnson is the team leader in scoring (12.8 ppg), free throw percentage (.825), rebounding (7.1 rpg), assists (4.1 apg), steals (2.7 spg) and blocks (1.0 bpg).

Among ACC players, Johnson ranks in the top-10 in assists (fourth), free throw percentage (second), steals (seventh) and assist/turnover ratio (1.3, fifth).

WOMEN’S BASKETBALL

The Miami Hurricane’s women’s basketball team will participate in the ACC women’s basketball tournament at Greensboro Coliseum in North Carolina.

The Hurricanes will face off against Boston College in first round action on Thursday, March 5, at 6 p.m.

The Canes are 0-2 against Boston College this year, but they will try to pull off the upset in a match up of No. 7 vs. No. 10.

WOMEN’S GOLF

Due to inclement weather in the San Jose area, the 2009 Juli Inkster Spartan Invitational hosted by San Jose State University was canceled on Tuesday.

The University of Miami women’s golf team and 15 other schools were set to compete. The Hurricanes were coming off their first team tournament win since 2004 at the Edwin Watts/Kiawah Island Classic in South Carolina.

Miami’s next tournament will take place March 30-31 at the John Kirk/Lady Panther Intercollegiate hosted by Georgia State.

WOMEN’S TENNIS

After handling No. 18 Michigan, 6-1, last Thursday, the University of Miami women’s tennis team moved up four spots in the ITA national team poll to No. 6.

The Hurricanes (10-2) have gone 2-1 in their last three matches – all against top 25 opponents.

Sophomore Julia Cohen moved from No. 20 to No. 13 in singles rankings, and fellow sophomore Bianca Eichkorn went from No. 51 to No. 40. Junior two-time All-American Laura Vallverdu dropped from No. 34 to No. 39 and sophomore Michaela Kissell fell two spots to No. 63.

In doubles play, the team of Cohen and Vallverdu earned its first ranking, debuting at No. 15. Kissell and Eichkorn moved to No. 37 after previously holding the ranking of No. 14 in the preseason polls.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...