Sports Briefs

MEN’S BASKETBALL

Senior guard Jack McClinton was named to the National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) First Team All-District and is now eligible for the All-American Team.

This year, the NABC realigned its districts by conference, so student-athletes selected to the District 2 First and Second Teams were all from the ACC. North Carolina’s Tyler Hansbrough and Ty Lawson, Florida State’s Toney Douglas and Wake Forest’s Jeff Teague were the other first-team selections.

McClinton is the ACC’s all-time 3-point field goal percentage leader (.447) and also leads the ACC in 3-point field goal percentage (.481) and 3-pointers per game (3.2) this season. He ranks among the league’s top three in both scoring (19.7 ppg) and free throw percentage (.862).

WOMEN’S BASKETBALL

Forward Shenise Johnson was named to the ACC All-Freshman Team and became the first Hurricane named to the team.

On the season, Johnson is the team leader in scoring (12.8 ppg), free throw percentage (.825), rebounding (7.1 rpg), assists (4.1 apg), steals (2.7 spg) and blocks (1.0 bpg).

Among ACC players, Johnson ranks in the top-10 in assists (fourth), free throw percentage (second), steals (seventh) and assist/turnover ratio (1.3, fifth).

WOMEN’S BASKETBALL

The Miami Hurricane’s women’s basketball team will participate in the ACC women’s basketball tournament at Greensboro Coliseum in North Carolina.

The Hurricanes will face off against Boston College in first round action on Thursday, March 5, at 6 p.m.

The Canes are 0-2 against Boston College this year, but they will try to pull off the upset in a match up of No. 7 vs. No. 10.

WOMEN’S GOLF

Due to inclement weather in the San Jose area, the 2009 Juli Inkster Spartan Invitational hosted by San Jose State University was canceled on Tuesday.

The University of Miami women’s golf team and 15 other schools were set to compete. The Hurricanes were coming off their first team tournament win since 2004 at the Edwin Watts/Kiawah Island Classic in South Carolina.

Miami’s next tournament will take place March 30-31 at the John Kirk/Lady Panther Intercollegiate hosted by Georgia State.

WOMEN’S TENNIS

After handling No. 18 Michigan, 6-1, last Thursday, the University of Miami women’s tennis team moved up four spots in the ITA national team poll to No. 6.

The Hurricanes (10-2) have gone 2-1 in their last three matches – all against top 25 opponents.

Sophomore Julia Cohen moved from No. 20 to No. 13 in singles rankings, and fellow sophomore Bianca Eichkorn went from No. 51 to No. 40. Junior two-time All-American Laura Vallverdu dropped from No. 34 to No. 39 and sophomore Michaela Kissell fell two spots to No. 63.

In doubles play, the team of Cohen and Vallverdu earned its first ranking, debuting at No. 15. Kissell and Eichkorn moved to No. 37 after previously holding the ranking of No. 14 in the preseason polls.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...