Letters to the Editor

Letter to the Editor: A response from Iron Arrow

The bylaws of Iron Arrow state that one may not be recognized for what one did as an undergraduate after graduation. On the other hand, if such an individual has excelled in his/her respective fields and/or continued to enhance the University of Miami, then that individual may be considered for selection based upon those merits.

Iron Arrow members wore their jackets in honor of Dr. Stanford, who would have certainly appreciated the honor we showed him by wearing those jackets. Henry King Stanford was as proud of Iron Arrow, the highest honor one may attain at the University of Miami, as his predecessors were. I regret that Henry’s jacket was not there on display. He would have been delighted that Iron Arrow members cared enough to wear their jackets to his memorial service.

May I point out that President Shalala was wearing her Iron Arrow jacket, as well as former President Tad Foote and his wife, Bosey Foote?

Maybe the distraction was really caused by “jacket envy?”

Dr. Stanford is memorialized on a daily basis by the places named in his honor while he was still alive to appreciate the fact that everyone thought so highly of him. He was well aware that those of us who knew and loved him believed him to be a legend in his own time.

– Micki Lewis
Class of 1965

Hurricane Reader

Letter to the Editor

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...