Letters to the Editor

Letter to the Editor: A response from Iron Arrow

The bylaws of Iron Arrow state that one may not be recognized for what one did as an undergraduate after graduation. On the other hand, if such an individual has excelled in his/her respective fields and/or continued to enhance the University of Miami, then that individual may be considered for selection based upon those merits.

Iron Arrow members wore their jackets in honor of Dr. Stanford, who would have certainly appreciated the honor we showed him by wearing those jackets. Henry King Stanford was as proud of Iron Arrow, the highest honor one may attain at the University of Miami, as his predecessors were. I regret that Henry’s jacket was not there on display. He would have been delighted that Iron Arrow members cared enough to wear their jackets to his memorial service.

May I point out that President Shalala was wearing her Iron Arrow jacket, as well as former President Tad Foote and his wife, Bosey Foote?

Maybe the distraction was really caused by “jacket envy?”

Dr. Stanford is memorialized on a daily basis by the places named in his honor while he was still alive to appreciate the fact that everyone thought so highly of him. He was well aware that those of us who knew and loved him believed him to be a legend in his own time.

– Micki Lewis
Class of 1965

Hurricane Reader

Letter to the Editor

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...

The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) has awarded the University of Miami a 2019 NCAA ...

Dane Dunlap, William Grattan-Smith and Franco Aubone were each selected as All-Academic Scholar Athl ...