Langerado canceled but weekend promises to rock hard

ILLUSTRATION BY LAURA PATRICELLI

ILLUSTRATION BY LAURA PATRICELLI

Like many University of Miami students, Tom Skibo had purchased his ticket to Langerado months in advance and was anxiously awaiting the annual three-day outdoor music festival’s first year in downtown Miami. That is, until he received a text message from a friend explaining it had been canceled.

“It ruined my whole class period. I couldn’t learn,” he said.

However, promoters like LiveNation scurried to book Langerado bands in the Miami area and this weekend is packed with concerts to throw your Langerado refund money towards.

Friday starts the weekend with a tough decision. The alternative reggae band Bad Brains play City Limits in Delray Beach, a little less than an hour north of campus. The show costs $25 and begins at 8 p.m. with Whole Wheat Bread and Lionize opening. Or, catch Tricky, the British hip-hop rocker, with electronica masters Holy Fuck, at Revolution in Ft. Lauderdale at 7 p.m. for $22.

On Saturday, witness the Irish ’80s supergroup The Pogues kick off their North American tour at the Pompano Beach Amphitheater, about a half hour north of campus at 8:30 p.m. Tickets run around $45, but don’t be surprised if scalpers are jacking the price this close to the show.

The Latin and hip-hop tinged group Ozomatli will play at the Culture Room Saturday night, too. General admission tickets cost $20 and the show begins at 8 p.m.

Of course, students can also stay on campus Saturday night to dance the night away with jam-rockers Umphrey’s McGee. The free, two-set show starts at 8 p.m. on the UC Patio.

Sunday night, abrasive Washington-based indie darlings Modest Mouse rock Revolution with Mimicking Birds and Japanese Motors. Woody Graber, Revolution’s public relations consultant commented, “Revolution jumped at doing Tricky and Modest Mouse. They felt those were two extremely strong acts.” The show starts at 6:30 p.m. and tickets run $30. Unfortunately, Ticketmaster already sold out, so fans will have to hunt around if they missed Mouse at the Fillmore in June.

Pop encyclopedia Girl Talk also rolls into Ft. Lauderdale on Sunday at the Culture Room with sensitive noise rockers Deerhunter opening. Doors open at 8 p.m. and tickets cost $25. Scott Swartz, who plans to attend, said, “Girl Talk is the perfect artist for our ADD nation. He’s about making awesome mixes that are great to dance to.” Claustrophobics beware: expect a giant, sweaty dance party that involves getting really close to other concert-goers.

Hipster favorites Tokyo Police Club (no, they’re Canadian) cap the trifecta of talent performing on Sunday. This all ages show at City Limits starts at seven with Ruby Coast and TV Club opening for the buzz-building indie poppers. Tickets are $15 in advance, $17 day of show.

For those bent on attending a festival this weekend, look into the first annual Harvest of Hope Fest at the St. Johns County Fairgrounds in St. Augustine. The three-day event boasts over 100 bands and picked up many Langerado castoffs, including The Mountain Goats, Tilly and the Wall, and Black Kids. Also, for those trying to be economical, Girl Talk, Deerhunter, Tokyo Police Club and Bad Brains are all playing the fest. Tickets cost $39.50 for all three days and $19.50 for single day-passes. For those disappointed by Langerado’s no camping policy this year, Harvest of Hope offers a $29.50 camping pass which is good for up to four people. All proceeds are promised to the Harvest of Hope Foundation which aids migrant farm workers.

Kevin Coleman

Contributing EDGE Writer

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

Come join head coach Manny Diaz and the Miami Hurricanes football program in the brand new Carol Sof ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...