Langerado canceled but weekend promises to rock hard

ILLUSTRATION BY LAURA PATRICELLI

ILLUSTRATION BY LAURA PATRICELLI

Like many University of Miami students, Tom Skibo had purchased his ticket to Langerado months in advance and was anxiously awaiting the annual three-day outdoor music festival’s first year in downtown Miami. That is, until he received a text message from a friend explaining it had been canceled.

“It ruined my whole class period. I couldn’t learn,” he said.

However, promoters like LiveNation scurried to book Langerado bands in the Miami area and this weekend is packed with concerts to throw your Langerado refund money towards.

Friday starts the weekend with a tough decision. The alternative reggae band Bad Brains play City Limits in Delray Beach, a little less than an hour north of campus. The show costs $25 and begins at 8 p.m. with Whole Wheat Bread and Lionize opening. Or, catch Tricky, the British hip-hop rocker, with electronica masters Holy Fuck, at Revolution in Ft. Lauderdale at 7 p.m. for $22.

On Saturday, witness the Irish ’80s supergroup The Pogues kick off their North American tour at the Pompano Beach Amphitheater, about a half hour north of campus at 8:30 p.m. Tickets run around $45, but don’t be surprised if scalpers are jacking the price this close to the show.

The Latin and hip-hop tinged group Ozomatli will play at the Culture Room Saturday night, too. General admission tickets cost $20 and the show begins at 8 p.m.

Of course, students can also stay on campus Saturday night to dance the night away with jam-rockers Umphrey’s McGee. The free, two-set show starts at 8 p.m. on the UC Patio.

Sunday night, abrasive Washington-based indie darlings Modest Mouse rock Revolution with Mimicking Birds and Japanese Motors. Woody Graber, Revolution’s public relations consultant commented, “Revolution jumped at doing Tricky and Modest Mouse. They felt those were two extremely strong acts.” The show starts at 6:30 p.m. and tickets run $30. Unfortunately, Ticketmaster already sold out, so fans will have to hunt around if they missed Mouse at the Fillmore in June.

Pop encyclopedia Girl Talk also rolls into Ft. Lauderdale on Sunday at the Culture Room with sensitive noise rockers Deerhunter opening. Doors open at 8 p.m. and tickets cost $25. Scott Swartz, who plans to attend, said, “Girl Talk is the perfect artist for our ADD nation. He’s about making awesome mixes that are great to dance to.” Claustrophobics beware: expect a giant, sweaty dance party that involves getting really close to other concert-goers.

Hipster favorites Tokyo Police Club (no, they’re Canadian) cap the trifecta of talent performing on Sunday. This all ages show at City Limits starts at seven with Ruby Coast and TV Club opening for the buzz-building indie poppers. Tickets are $15 in advance, $17 day of show.

For those bent on attending a festival this weekend, look into the first annual Harvest of Hope Fest at the St. Johns County Fairgrounds in St. Augustine. The three-day event boasts over 100 bands and picked up many Langerado castoffs, including The Mountain Goats, Tilly and the Wall, and Black Kids. Also, for those trying to be economical, Girl Talk, Deerhunter, Tokyo Police Club and Bad Brains are all playing the fest. Tickets cost $39.50 for all three days and $19.50 for single day-passes. For those disappointed by Langerado’s no camping policy this year, Harvest of Hope offers a $29.50 camping pass which is good for up to four people. All proceeds are promised to the Harvest of Hope Foundation which aids migrant farm workers.

Kevin Coleman

Contributing EDGE Writer

Before Daniel Carter decided to sign with the Pittsburgh Panthers out of St. Thomas Aquinas, the fou ...

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Thursday that ESPN reporter and UM alumna Allison Williams w ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...