Baseball

Canes prepare for first ACC series

The reigning ACC champions prepare to face a conference foe for the first time this season, as they get ready to host North Carolina State on Friday night at 7 p.m. at Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field.

Last year Miami was a conference-best 23-5 in ACC play. They beat the Wolfpack in the first round of the ACC tournament and the win catapulted the Canes to their first conference title since joining the ACC in 2004.

After outscoring the University of Florida 26 to 8 last weekend, the Hurricanes moved up the rankings in all five of the major college baseball polls, including being touted as high as No. 8 in the USA Today/ESPN polls.

The key to sustaining UM’s weekend success will be starting pitching. Their weekend rotation of sophomore Chris Hernandez, junior David Gutierrez and sophomore Iden Nazario have a combined record of 5-0 with 33 strikeouts and have allowed only five extra base hits.

The catalyst for the team, offensively, has been leadoff hitter Nathan Melendres. The freshman center fielder has made the transition seamless, not only from high school to college, but also from infield to outfield. This year is his first playing outfield. He is batting over .300 and has recorded at least one hit in each of his first eight games.

“I have just been working really hard,” Melendres said. “I have been working a lot with [assistant coach Ray Fuentes]. He is great. The transition has been good and I have become a lot faster since moving to outfield so that helps my game out a lot.”

The Wolfpack head to South Florida red hot, as they are riding a five-game win streak, after dropping their first two games of the season. Mother Nature has not been kind to them, though, as they had three games postponed due to inclement weather last weekend.

The Wolfpack are led by freshman catcher/infielder Pratt Maynard and junior outfielder Drew Poulk. Both are either first or second on the team in batting average, slugging percentage, runs scored and total bases.

Both teams have faced one common opponent this year: each team was upset in their home ball park by Rhode Island. Miami lost to Rhode Island on Tuesday night, 3-0, as their bats were stagnant. They accumulated just three hits the entire game. Rhode Island spoiled N.C. State’s opening night 11-8.

Saturday’s game is at 7 p.m. and Sunday’s game is at 1 p.m. All games can be heard on WVUM 90.5 FM.

Justin Antweil

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...