Alex Wagner-Trugman will not advance

ILLUSTRATION BY LAURA PATRICELLI

ILLUSTRATION BY LAURA PATRICELLI

Friends and fans gathered at the Rathskeller Tuesday night to support sophomore Alex Wagner-Trugman in his quest to be in the final 12 for “American Idol.” The Miami Hurricane and WSVN 7, the local Fox affiliate, covered the party at the Rat. Unfortunately, Alex was unable to advance and was not asked back to come back for the wild card round.

Alex performed in Group 3 Tuesday evening and was third in line to perform.

Right after the commercial break, host Ryan Seacrest opened up sitting next to Alex while the sophomore told the nation about how he read online reports about how dorky he was. Alex said he now spends a lot of time in the gym “to fill out a shirt like Simon [Cowell]” while doing very short reps of very light weights.

The show then cut to a video clip of Alex’s experience on “American Idol.” Alex continued to sarcastically mock his relationship with Simon Cowell, claiming they are very close.

Because he has been in a long distance relationship for a long time, Alex sang Elton John’s romantic “I Guess That’s Why They Call It The Blues.” Alex comically proclaimed that he could be anyone’s long distance boyfriend for the evening.

Alex went on to perform and his infectious emotion had the crowd on his side. He purposely moved away from the standing microphone to show his entertaining character and lively dance moves. Alex finally took the microphone to close out his performance and accidentally knocked down the microphone stand.

The judges railed on Alex despite his endearing personality. Paula Abdul said as an entertainer, Alex gives his money’s worth. Simon called the performance stupid and described Alex as “a little hamster trying to be a tiger.” Randy Jackson called it “crazy in a buckwild sort of way,” but admitted Alex can sing. Although Alex will not proceed, Kara DioGuardi best summed up his performance when she said, “Alex, at least you do you.”

Lelan LeDoux

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...

The University of Miami soccer team dropped its ACC road match against NC State, 1-0, Thursday night ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...