Baseball

Rhode Island Rams upset Canes 3-0

Junior right-hander Eric Smith pitched eight plus innings and surrendered only three hits as Rhode Island stunned No. 10 Miami 3-0 Tuesday night at Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field.

At one point Smith (1-0), who finished with five strikeouts and two walks, retired 15 consecutive hitters before issuing a two-out walk to sophomore Iden Nazario in the eighth. Senior righty Luke Demko earned the save.

“I want to give Rhode Island credit. He [Smith] had great stuff. He located all night, stayed ahead of our hitters, he was hard to run on,” head coach Jim Morris said. “Good pitching beats good hitting and good pitching tonight beat our hitting.”

Freshman southpaw Daniel Miranda (0-1) took the loss for the Hurricanes after giving up three runs on eight hits in four innings of work. Senior right-hander Jason Santana and junior right-hander John Housey allowed just one hit and combined on five scoreless innings of relief.

“Mainly I was just hitting my spots and [I wanted to] get us back in the dugout,” Santana said. “A lot of fastballs trying to get ahead of the hitters.”

The Rams (5-2) scored two runs in the second and one in the third.

Junior Rob DeVeney led off the second with a single and moved to third on a double down the third base line by sophomore Jeff Cammans. DeVeney barely made it past the tag on junior Zoey Angulo’s sacrifice fly to right field. Freshman Mike LeBel singled to left to drive in the second run for Rhode Island.

In the next inning, senior Dan Rhault singled past a diving Jason Hagerty at first with one out and advanced to third on a gap single by sophomore Tom Coulombe. Senior right fielder Dave DiNatale’s throw on DeVeney’s mid-range fly beat the runner to the plate, but sophomore catcher Yasmani Grandal’s tag was applied late.

Rhault and Cammans each collected two of the Rams’ nine hits and both scored a run.

DiNatale, junior Chris Herrmann and freshman Nathan Melendres had the only three hits for the Canes, whose best scoring chance came in the first when Hagerty was caught stealing second to end the inning with runners at the corners and freshman Harold Martinez at the plate.

Melendres extended his hit streak to eight games with a single in the ninth.

“He [Smith] was pretty much throwing strikes all day. He didn’t get behind on anybody. He pitched a great game. We put the barrel on the ball a few times, but straight at people,” Melendres said. “Things weren’t clicking. He was getting a lot of quick outs.”

Miami (6-2) will host its second consecutive midweek game tomorrow against Mount St. Mary’s (0-3) at 6 p.m.

“I don’t want to lose, no question about that. You can go from the outhouse to the penthouse in one day and vice versa,” Morris said. “It’s a tough game that you’ve got to play every day and you’ve got to come out to play every day.”

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...

The University of Miami soccer team dropped its ACC road match against NC State, 1-0, Thursday night ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...