Wellness Center cooking class provides healthy alternatives for students

CHELSEA MATIASH // PHOTO EDITOR

CHELSEA MATIASH // PHOTO EDITOR

Six students are hard at work in the Wellness Center. They’re not working off calories in the gym and they have relinquished their books and calculators. Instead, these aspiring student chefs are studying how to crack eggs and double recipes. They are learning to be fit by cooking delicious foods in the healthiest manner possible.

The oven beeps, signifying that the muffins, cookies and sweet grapefruit are ready.

“Wow, this is really good. I never would have thought to make cookies with carrots, apples and nuts,” said Lexie Cooper after taking one bite.

The students are cooking in the revamped Instructional Kitchen, located on the second floor of the Wellness Center in suite 230. This cooking class is one of six that will take place this semester, which may be purchased as a series of three with a 10 percent discount. They can be also purchased individually for $25 per class.

“I want to empower people to reach their own goals and educate them for what they aspire to be and to be healthy,” said Lori Moldovan, the cooking instructor.

Moldovan graduated from the University of Miami’s School of Law in 1987. In 2000, she attended the Institute of Integrative Nutrition in New York and became a certified holistic health practitioner.

She has been teaching the class for three years and the citizen board – a group of community leaders who fundraise for university-wide start-up programs – recently awarded the program $5,000.

“The citizen’s board allowed us to refurbish our old pots and pans to top-of-the-line, clean appliances,” Moldovan said.

Ashley Falcon, the assistant director of Wellness, also teaches cooking classes. She often travels to the residential colleges by request of resident assistants.

“We make all kinds of things like mock California rolls. Students quickly realize they can make something other than the same old stuff with just the few things I have in my room,” Falcon said.

Both Moldovan and Falcon agreed that the best way to make healthy choices is to plan ahead.

“We all get too busy and then we just eat what is convenient instead of healthy,” Falcon said.

Students can practice planning ahead by calling to reserve a spot in one of the upcoming cooking classes. To make reservations, students should call the wellness suite at 305-284-5433.

“I loved cooking here; it’s a lot easier than at my apartment. I never have all of the utensils and supplies I need to make something at my apartment,” Cooper said.

DATE THEME
February 25* Annual Farmers Market class II
March 11 Annual Farmers Market class III
March 25* Burger Night
April 8 Pizza Night
April 22* Cinco De Mayo Veggie Style

* Denotes that this is a vegetarian class

All classes are held in the instructional Kitchen and take place from 6:30-8:30 p.m.

Ali Kitenplon

Contributing EDGE Writer

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...