Our opinion: Even if you don’t normally watch ‘American Idol,’ rock the vote for fellow Cane

Through its first eight seasons, this is the first major mention of “American Idol” in The Miami Hurricane. With its ups and downs, successes and pitfalls, you might be asking yourself why season eight is worth mentioning.

The University of Miami’s very own Alex Wagner-Trugman from Studio City, Calif., is competing to be one of the top 12 finalists. A big deal indeed, as even a minute of national TV airtime can turn a nobody into a somebody.

But Alex isn’t a nobody anymore. He might not be a somebody yet, but being in the top 36 says something. If the competition was purely based on luck, he would have about a .035 percent chance of being where he is now…not likely.

If you’ve never heard his name, now you have. Make it a point to watch and support your fellow Cane, Wagner-Trugman. From here on in, the competition is based on viewer voting. So vote for him! Our sincere apologies for the election season flashback, but wouldn’t it be a little bit cool to say you went to school with an American Idol?

Like it or not (and we’re betting most of you like it), “American Idol” is the most popular television program in the country, bar none. It’s been true since the beginning of the medium of television; people like music, and people like people trying to succeed in life. Why not support our fellow classmate in his pursuit?

Maybe you’re still not enthusiastic about a fellow classmate on national TV. Maybe you refuse to spend a quiet evening watching that mainstream nonsense. We still suggest you head to the Rathskeller at 7:30 on Tuesday. Even if you don’t want to see Simon’s absurdly blunt comments, Paula’s wacky (possibly drug-induced) antics, Randy’s “dogs” or Kara’s (the new girl) pretty face, come support Mr. Wagner-Trugman and your beer belly for free (well, not the beer).

Editorial Board

The University of Miami spring game will not be televised or streamed live on the Internet at noon S ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

For the second installment of its “What Matters to U” lecture series, Student Government invited act ...

There is at least one member of House Hurricane in the Seven Kingdoms: alumnus David Nutter, who sha ...

Following a 4-1 victory over No. 13-seed Virginia Tech Thursday in its ACC Championship opener, the ...

The fifth-seeded Miami women's tennis team started ACC Championship competition with a 4-1 vict ...

The Hurricanes will battle fourth-seed NC State in the quarterfinals Friday at 9 a.m. ...

The Canes made a late charge, but fell short at No. 8 Louisville 7-5 ...

Because of expected inclement weather, Thursday's game time has been moved up one hour to 5 p.m ...