Our opinion: Even if you don’t normally watch ‘American Idol,’ rock the vote for fellow Cane

Through its first eight seasons, this is the first major mention of “American Idol” in The Miami Hurricane. With its ups and downs, successes and pitfalls, you might be asking yourself why season eight is worth mentioning.

The University of Miami’s very own Alex Wagner-Trugman from Studio City, Calif., is competing to be one of the top 12 finalists. A big deal indeed, as even a minute of national TV airtime can turn a nobody into a somebody.

But Alex isn’t a nobody anymore. He might not be a somebody yet, but being in the top 36 says something. If the competition was purely based on luck, he would have about a .035 percent chance of being where he is now…not likely.

If you’ve never heard his name, now you have. Make it a point to watch and support your fellow Cane, Wagner-Trugman. From here on in, the competition is based on viewer voting. So vote for him! Our sincere apologies for the election season flashback, but wouldn’t it be a little bit cool to say you went to school with an American Idol?

Like it or not (and we’re betting most of you like it), “American Idol” is the most popular television program in the country, bar none. It’s been true since the beginning of the medium of television; people like music, and people like people trying to succeed in life. Why not support our fellow classmate in his pursuit?

Maybe you’re still not enthusiastic about a fellow classmate on national TV. Maybe you refuse to spend a quiet evening watching that mainstream nonsense. We still suggest you head to the Rathskeller at 7:30 on Tuesday. Even if you don’t want to see Simon’s absurdly blunt comments, Paula’s wacky (possibly drug-induced) antics, Randy’s “dogs” or Kara’s (the new girl) pretty face, come support Mr. Wagner-Trugman and your beer belly for free (well, not the beer).

Editorial Board

Zach Johnson is known for his fashion sense, and always has been since he led Miami Norland High to ...

Let’s fire everybody! And while we’re at it let’s fire the people who hired the people we just fired ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt, whose Hurricanes are in the midst of a four-game losing streak ...

The University of Miami’s interest in Clemson grad transfer quarterback Kelly Bryant apparently is m ...

For the first time since Mark Richt benched N’Kosi Perry for Malik Rosier in the Miami Hurricanes’ l ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The 2018 midterm election shifts the balance of power in Congress, with women playing a huge role. ...

UM alumna, one-time Miami Dolphins cheerleader, and National Geographic explorer Mireya Mayor lives ...

2018 NCAA Tournament programs match up at 7 p.m. at Watsco Center. ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball is a member of the 2018-19 Citizen Naismith ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated Hartford, 75-62, Sunday afternoon at the Watsco Cent ...