Letters to the Editor

I didn’t need to shoot the sheriff, or the deputy

I went to the Caribbean Festival all day yesterday. It used to be called Bob Marley Fest, but I guess calling it something a little more generic brings more people in. I heard a rumor floating around a few days before the show that within the borders of the festival, marijuana is decriminalized. Now, I wasn’t planning on walking up to one of the many police officers with spliff in hand to ask, “Is this OK, officer?”

What I did notice from the police, though, was the old “turn-the-shoulder-and-waft-a-fan-in-your-face” method, ensuring no inhalation takes place. Haha, what a joke.

I saw this one, kind of cute, police officer with an accentuated bottom laughing and joking with this 60-plus-year-old Rastaman all while he was smoking a marijuana cigarette. He even rolled it up in front of her. Legal? No, but I guess the committed attitude from law enforcement on days like yesterday, at a place like the Bob Marley Festival, is that you can’t catch them all, so why catch any? When the sun went down and the lights came on, the smoke rising from the audience was phenomenal.

Although I kept my smoking to a minimum yesterday, the main message the Marleys and other performers tried to push was peace, love and unity; unity with yourself, unity with the world.

–Samuel Hendrix

Class of 2010

Hurricane Reader

Letter to the Editor

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...